Picked up a Silver B with a rusty lid

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
Its ad was originally listed as having "low flame."

Then its ad was revised to say "sometimes low flame, sometimes normal."

The frame is good, and it came with recent cast iron grates. Burners are good. Could use new FBs. Needed an igniter.

I almost didn't buy it because of the rust spot on the lid (it's dented in that spot too), but I figured there must be someone out there with a good lid.

After I brought it home, I took my old Charbroil grill to the dump and.... lo and behold, someone had just dumped a Silver B into the scrap metal dumpster! Its frame was gone but it had some good parts to donate.

The "dumpster" lid was in much better shape so I brought it home and power washed it. I also snagged the manifold.

I'm not sure what the seller meant by having low flame... the flame height looks pretty normal to me and l I can consistently get the temp over 500 degrees within minutes.

35119977950_7b9bef8536_h.jpg

I've already swapped the lid (but kept the lid caps from the old lid because they were in better shape).

Was it worth driving 45 miles each way to pick it up? Maybe... maybe not :)

More pics to come in the morning.

That's well timed on the free one from the dump. It's crazy that some people sell an old Weber for $100, and others dump the same condition grill. Good work.

People here often dump new summits with a bit of rust and recent Genesis that fall over and bend the valves that just need a manifold. I scored a 2016 ep330 a few weeks ago because of that, and another 2016 ep310 last week because someone had a grease fire that burned the drip tray. My latest acquisition is a 36" lynx that needs a new warming rack

Anyway you aren't too far off in MA, if you need another lid let me know as I have a ton and don't think shipping would be terribly much

People here often dump new summits with a bit of rust and recent Genesis that fall over and bend the valves that just need a manifold. I scored a 2016 ep330 a few weeks ago because of that, and another 2016 ep310 last week because someone had a grease fire that burned the drip tray. My latest acquisition is a 36" lynx that needs a new warming rack

Anyway you aren't too far off in MA, if you need another lid let me know as I have a ton and don't think shipping would be terribly much

This it true around here as well. I am on several on facebook "yard sale" groups and it turns out (by looking at completed ads) that people have been getting rid of good looking Genesis grills for $50 or less (sometimes free), I just never paid any attention to them until now.

Anyhoo... I noticed that that the handle on the original deign has vertical stripes, and the handle from the dumpster has horizontal stripes.

The handle with the horizontal stripes appear to be thicker and i prefer how it feels in my hand. Not that this is a big deal, but does anyone know which design is newer?

Chris in NY, what color lids do you have?

I will have to double check but I think the ones I have at the moment are all black or stainless. I'm 99% sure that the stainless will work on the older cook box as we recently did a warranty repair in a 20 year old grill where the hinge area sheared off and they swapped her kid with a stainless one. Will get back to you in a day or two when I have some time to forage in our boneyard though

This it true around here as well. I am on several on facebook "yard sale" groups and it turns out (by looking at completed ads) that people have been getting rid of good looking Genesis grills for $50 or less (sometimes free), I just never paid any attention to them until now.

Anyhoo... I noticed that that the handle on the original deign has vertical stripes, and the handle from the dumpster has horizontal stripes.

The handle with the horizontal stripes appear to be thicker and i prefer how it feels in my hand. Not that this is a big deal, but does anyone know which design is newer?

Chris in NY, what color lids do you have?

I have a genesis three burner with the vertical strip handle and one with the horizontal striped handle, just like yours. The horizontal strip handle was on a grill manufactured in 2001 and the vertical strip handle is from a grill manufactured in 2002.

I have completed the restore on the 2002 grill and am just starting the 2001. Good luck with your project.

Boy with that kind of luck with your dumpster find I would go buy a lottery ticket.

I was inspired by a "refurb in 1 day" thread so I've been busy today:

inside of the firebox was wirewheeled
outside of the firebox was degreased/sanded/painted with flat bbq paint
the regulator was making a high-pitched noise when the gas was turned on so
I replaced it with the one that came with the trash-picked manifold

I'm waiting for the stainless 16 gauge FBs from rcplanebuyer but other than that, the grill is usable now.

And the best part of all?
35363195222_69630685c0_h.jpg
35363196682_31f78cf9b6_h.jpg
35535756605_f3ee202266_h.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great job. The cast iron grates look new.
So what are you going to do with two grills???

I will have to double check but I think the ones I have at the moment are all black or stainless. I'm 99% sure that the stainless will work on the older cook box as we recently did a warranty repair in a 20 year old grill where the hinge area sheared off and they swapped her kid with a stainless one. Will get back to you in a day or two when I have some time to forage in our boneyard though

I may be interested in a stainless, please let me know.

I just tried this swap at my house. I swapped a Stainless Steel Genesis Gold B top onto a Genesis 1000 lx firebox. I'd say they 'mostly' fit. The Hinges line up perfectly but, When i open it there is a slight rub between the back of the firebox and the back of the hood. Not a deal breaker, but you CAN feel the rub when you open the lid. Also, the warming basket that fits in the 1000 lx hood doesn't fit in the Gold B hood, but for me, thats not an issue at all.

Good to know, I'm still dying to try mounting the deep cook box redhead on a Genesis platinum stainless frame I salvaged with wood slats

I have a question for those that have added a right-side flip up table on an early 2000s Silver B.

I have found a guy that is willing to sell me the table locally, and it comes with the bracket

He claims that the gray trim piece on the right with the 3 hooks where you hang your grill utensils are different on the grills that came with the right-side flip up table, and that I'd also need the trim piece. Is this correct?

The part number for the trim piece for Silver Bs that didn't come with the right-side flip up table is 2002:

The part number for the trim piece that came with the flip-up table is 2068

Edit.... I see the difference between the 2 pieces, the trim piece needs to be added also, otherwise the table wouldn't able to hang
34757043964_179b95098c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yep yep. Trim piece is a little longer in the front and has a hole for the wire to go through. End cap of silver b doesn't have that

Btw, be sure that the color of the new trim piece matches the left side piece that you already have.

Here's an updated picture with:

a new aftermarket stainless warming rack from RiversEdge
the rcplanebuyer FBs
a NOS Weber 9890 rotisserie that I found on eBay, but it came with the wrong motor bracket.

BTW the 9890 also fits my Silver A as the skewer can accommodate the smaller firebox. It has 2 separate indentations on the shaft for the different size fireboxes.

I might order 2 mounting brackets for each grill.

I really wanted to use it this weekend, so I modified the bracket that it came with by elongating the screw holes on the bracket to accept 1/4-20 x 2" screws and then used nuts as spacers to get the proper distance between the bracket and the firebox.

35612702186_7fd11dcb09_h.jpg

35522264151_0578592169_h.jpg

35654193905_99530717ea_h.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of have my eyes opened for a CL grill with a rotisserie included. I am refurbing a Genesis 1000 Redhead for myself and would love the RCPlanebuyer SS grates and flavo bars, but that will push the costs too high to justify for the limited use it will get. It would get more use with a rotisserie however.

I kind of have my eyes opened for a CL grill with a rotisserie included. I am refurbing a Genesis 1000 Redhead for myself and would love the RCPlanebuyer SS grates and flavo bars, but that will push the costs too high to justify for the limited use it will get. It would get more use with a rotisserie however.

Bruce, I've seen people selling like-new Weber 9890 rotisseries on CL/facebook groups for as low as $25 recently. I paid a little more (after shipping) to have it delivered to me, but still was a pretty good deal.

Back