First Cook with Cherry Wood...WINGS!!!!

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
We got wings along with the beef ribs for tomorrow when we went to the butcher today. Decided to try cherry wood. Cooked on the 22" kettle, drip pan in the middle, KBB on each side.

Here are the pics:

uDCmM6s.jpg

Almost done

ovb0w77.jpg

iR2qwAe.jpg

Inc8di5.jpg

The cherry wood was phenomenal. I'd put these wings up against most others.

Dan, those wings sure look great!! Did you sauce them at all when eating?

Figure out a plan for those beef ribs yet? I didn't have any advice to offer.....never cooked them as individuals. I'm sure it will affect your cook time, but couldn't guess how.....just keep a close eye and eat when tender! ;)

R

Dan, those wings sure look great!! Did you sauce them at all when eating?

Figure out a plan for those beef ribs yet? I didn't have any advice to offer.....never cooked them as individuals. I'm sure it will affect your cook time, but couldn't guess how.....just keep a close eye and eat when tender! ;)

R

Thanks!!! I didn't sauce the wings, primarily because I just wanted to taste the cherry wood. I buttered the skins and put on a dry rub consisting of dark brown sugar, kosher salt, nutmeg, chili powder, cumin and a hint of garlic powder.

As for the beef ribs, I'm thinking sea salt until they're sweaty and smoke over two hunks of apple and one or two hunks of pecan; cooking to tender like you said. :)

That's some good looking wings. I love the way cherry wood gives food that mahogany color, plus the great flavor

They look great Dan. I'm with Rich on the beautiful color you get with cherry. I use it for my ribs.

Purty wings, Dan. :)

Besides appearance, how was the flavor compared to other smoke wood and chicken?

The only other wood that I've done wings with is maple. The maple was sugary sweet and the cherry was a nice, fruity sweet. They're totally different and equally delicious. I'm doing chicken breasts tomorrow with the cherry. Gonna be good. :)

Back