California tri-tip ‘alternative facts’

Given that thousands of people butcher and process beef every day, I suppose it's possible that both stories are true and independent of each other. Me, I'm just glad somebody discovered tri-tip!

Just glad they didn't equate tri-tip, no matter who popularized it, with Santa Maria BBQ. That honor goes to the top-block sirloin !

Kinda funny how it was "invented" around the same time. Plus the writer has a vested interest in the lineage. But for me, don't care who started it first, just that it's available.

I think it was invented in 1948 by a poor rancher that hit a steer just outside of Barstow, California with his pickup truck haulin pork bellies to town. He was goin so fast that the only think salvageable was the tri tip and not wanting to waste it he took it home and put it on his Sweet Murray grill and cooked it up. But some of the Nor Cal people heard about it and stole the idea and called it their own. The rest is history.
I know it to be true cuz I read it on the False News blog.

Oh Bob, I did clear it with Barb, road trip to Laughlin:cool:

Last edited:
Maybe we will never know 100% for sure who discovered tri tip, but it is more than just a roast to be sliced thin.
It makes great steaks if you cut them about an inch and a quarter thick.

Vaguely familiar author, kinda cute :)

thj-l-livvid-062321.jpg

Back