Genesis 1000 and other deep box grills

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Why do you need the extra vertical Flavo bars in the deep box grills. Why can't you just used the 5 horizontal bars and leave the vertical ones out? Seems like overkill and an added expense to me. Looking for thoughts from guys who have experience with both.

It is said that the double layer of bars reduces flare ups. It's hard to tell without doing a side by side comparison, but I like the idea of protecting the burner tubes better from all that drippage .....

It is said that the double layer of bars reduces flare ups. It's hard to tell without doing a side by side comparison, but I like the idea of protecting the burner tubes better from all that drippage .....

I agree. I think the extra layer helps prevent flare ups. I'm pretty sure I've read on here of people leaving out the 2nd layer with no ill effects.

Hmmmm, I didn't really expect to see any posts stating that it might be OK to leave the second set out. That being said, I don't see how the second set will help much with protecting the burner tubes since they run opposite of the burner tubes. I can see the flare up issue being a plausible reason for using them however but I would like to hear some theories behind that reasoning.

I'd think the flare ups are lower because drips have to get past two sets of really hot metal before they can be ignited by flames. I understand that the second set is perpendicular to the burners, but drips that get intercepted don't care which way the burners are running.

OK, that makes some sense. THanks.
I think am still going to consider just the horizontal bars when I get the grill rehabbed and ready for new parts. Right now, money is tight or I would just go for what the factory calls for.

There's probably no reason you couldn't go with the 5 horizontal. I think the 13 are cool. I kind of have to wonder if I would get more grill flavor if the dripping were hitting just the 5 but Im mostly a charcoal guy and a genesis 1000 is the first and only gas grill I've cooked on.

I thought it was because more bars held heat better? The more material between the burners and the grates the better the grill should be at holding heat after you open up the lid.

In theory it's supposed to even out heat delivery. My dad used to work with a guy that fabricated stainless steel and he made a few sets of extra tall bars for our deep box Genesis grills. They work fantastic BTW.

I've had a 1999 genesis 1000 LX deep box and a silver B at the same time and there is a difference. The genesis was far less prone to flare ups and the heat distribution was better. I had to clean the silver B twice as often as the genesis or it was flare up city. Both cooked well, but lets put it this way I still have my genesis but the silver B is long gone.

I currently have both types. The genesis 1000 and a 2 burner genesis A that has the more shallow fire box and only one row of flavorizors.

I notice very little difference between them. The 1000 flares up slightly less but the genesis A gets up to cooking temperatures slightly faster.

Both are wonderful grills. They both flare up less and cook more evenly than any grill I've owned.

i literally just gave my restored 1000 to a family member as a housewarming gift. it still grills like a champ at 23 years young. i have a 2001 gold b as my main grill. that particular model is still my fav and it is a 5 bar style. i have owned newer ones up to a 2012 genesis. my father in law has a brand new genesis. i will say that maybe it's a placebo effect, but the deepies cook very evenly. they just do. i assume that the bars contribute to it due to the sheer number of them. i did notice less flare ups when i have used the deep style. but more importantly, man are they hot to look at. they always get respect at a party and a lot of people comment on how evenly they cook. redheads are fantastic.

I suspect the two layers is better than the single layer. There are some good articles on how hard the designers of the first Genesis had to work to convince Mr Stephens that an gasser could cook nearly as well as a Kettle.

Then, probably, the bean counters had there say, 'fewer bars, etc, lower production cost- who will notice?'

Rich Dahl has had both types, which one does he keep? MikeBass is spot on-Which one looks better?

Having said all of that, BOTH types are Webers. Accept no substitute.

Back