Hello from the southern shore of Lake Erie

BElliott

Just wanted to share my experience with a Weber Summit (2007, not sure of the model number, but it's a 4 burner). The grill has been great. I got the natural gas version and I love it for the convenience factor, although it may not have the same output as an LPG grill.

During a snow storm last winter (I leave the grill out because I even grill during the winter), a large branch came crashing down on the patio. When I heard the noise, I looked out to see that it had landed squarely on the hood of my Weber!! I thought that was possibly the end of the grill, but when I went out to inspect it, I found that the aluminum casting on the right side was bent slightly, but the hood still opened. It was a little less smooth, but it still works and is only obvious if you look closely. The concussion also knocked one of the doors out of its hinge, but that was also relatively easy to fix.

I'm attaching some pictures to show how big this limb was. I'm amazed that it didn't completely obliterate the grill. The hood was the first point of contact with the ground and it fell from at least 20 feet above. The branch was not rotten, so it easily weighed 25-30 pounds. This is living proof of the durability of a Weber.

Untitled by Bill, on Flickr

In part because of the damage to the grill, and just because it's 10 years old, I decided to do a rebuild. The ignitors were not always functioning properly and the flame had a lot of yellow in it, so I called Weber to inquire about parts. First, even after ten years, they told me the burners were under warranty and would be replaced at no expense! Great news.

Even with a new manifold (which includes new knobs), SS grates, and flavorizer bars, the bill was a few hundred dollars. I thought that wasn't bad to essentially have a brand new grill (at least functionally). I suspect that I might have saved by going to a third party, but I try to support a good company when possible. The parts arrived within two days and assembly was a piece of cake. I cleaned up the SS with a very fine Mirlon Nonwoven Total Scuff Sanding Pad and some SS cleaner, and she cooks and almost looks like new now. I couldn't be happier with the grill and Weber's customer service and quality! Here are a few pictures of the newly restored Summit.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Pictures can't be attached, you have to link them at a hosting sight. Congrats on your rebuild, it sounds most successful. Would love to see it

Thanks Chuck. I think that I fixed the photo problem. Hopefully now they show up.
Excellent before & after photos. That Summit is a fine BBQ. Congrats on your repairs on her. Welcome to the forum, it's a fun place to hang out.

Back