Hanger Steak

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Finally got some (in all places, wally world--prime hanger steak). Wally is not as big in the meat dept in Canada as they seem to be elsewhere but things seem to be changing lately.

Lotsa recipes online and I searched here but couldn't find anything (I'm sure there is but well, I didn't find them).
I'd rather try something recommended by members than those zombie reviews found online.

Recipes/methods using a gas grill anyone?

Frankly, I'd rather have hanger steaks then rib eyes. Keep it simple, salt, pepper, maybe a dash of garlic powder, grill to medium.
For a cut they used to hide in the chopmeat, the price sure has gone crazy. Last check at costco, the cryovac bag of flap meat was $8.49/#.
Guess I'll stick with the 79 cent chicken legs.

Same here. Pork and chicken are primary but this is the first time I've seen hanger available.

BTW it's $8 CDN here so maybe $5.25 U.S.?

Last edited:
Last hanger meat I bought was $4.99 at Best Market here in NY, since then it's gone out of sight, higher then skirt steak, which is similar and also very tasty, but geeze, Costco ribeyes are cheaper. WTH? lol

Absolutely love Hanger Steak- but have to special order it here, and usually have to explain where it is cut from the beast.

Hot fast cook on the gasser-then a rest and slice across the grain before service- some Paris Butter, nothing better.

My butcher sells it to me for the same cost as ground beef- because that is where he normally uses it.

I'm probably too late Len, but a simple flavouring is pepper, salt... maybe a touch of Worcestershire ...
grill to rare/medium rare....

you're good...!

I'm probably too late Len, but a simple flavouring is pepper, salt... maybe a touch of Worcestershire ...
grill to rare/medium rare....

you're good...!

Not at all Jim. Just picked two pounds of Angus Prime today. Looking at Friday for grilling.

Tks for your input :)

On a side note Len. How do you find the meat at Walmart now that they've gone to all Canadian AAA Angus beef? I normally avoid Wally World meat. Actually I normally avoid Wally World everything.

Frankly, I'd rather have hanger steaks then rib eyes. Keep it simple, salt, pepper, maybe a dash of garlic powder, grill to medium.
For a cut they used to hide in the chopmeat, the price sure has gone crazy. Last check at costco, the cryovac bag of flap meat was $8.49/#.
Guess I'll stick with the 79 cent chicken legs.

Been seeing the Flap meat getting more expensive here at BJ's too. Sucks causeit was one of my favorites for a while.

For my money Hangers are a Salt, pepper, and garlic powder too though I go to rare/med rare. Sometimes I do Santa Fe seasoning though. either way YUM

On a side note Len. How do you find the meat at Walmart now that they've gone to all Canadian AAA Angus beef? I normally avoid Wally World meat. Actually I normally avoid Wally World everything.

Gotta say Bob, this is the FIRST time I've ever bought meat from Wally so I have no opinion.

BTW, Friday's smoke may be delayed as it's still raining today, tomorrow and possibly Saturday as well. It's now in the freezer till next week.

Bob, I finally found the time to try this beef. I was really pleased with it. Took it to the rare side of medium (I have to balance my desire for med/rare with my wife's requirement of "dead" (ie med/well) , all the while keeping in mind the "cut"

This angus cut can be taken to medium and be an excellent meal. Just used pepper to "marinate" it for 30 before the grill (at 400) and then salt both sides with a minute to go on each side. This was about an inch square and bout 4-5" long strip (no idea what it should look like).

Sliced thin across the grain produced a very enjoyable mouth feel and flavour (wife pronounced it "chewy" :( )

Did it 1 1/2 min per side twice to get the grill marks and then 1 min on the "sides". Total of 8 minutes for 375 gm of meat.

Delish. Mushrooms and noodles alfredo for sides.

No pics so this was all a fairy tale ;) .

Last edited:

Back