Our new oasis

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wife has wanted to re-do our backyard since we bought our home almost 20 years ago, and this spring was finally the time to get it done. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but we are more than pleased with how it turned out! Since this crew will care, the details on the cooking area..... I opted not to build in a grill, as I prefer charcoal, so just built a really nice prep area with a standard height counter, surrounded by bar top on the outside with stool height seating. We nixed the sink as the plumbing for it was going to be a major project, but I am thrilled with the new space for me to cook and entertain simultaneously. Check it out.....

Went from this:

35347058391_7c29ea38b0_b.jpg

Using my concept drawings (created this in PowerPoint....saved $10k on an architect!):

35310327662_96eb2e7bb5_b.jpg

...and, we now have this awesome space to enjoy:

35347069871_1f0f14324e_k.jpg

35310338372_174f4cb888_k.jpg

35347068411_991a9aa2c2_k.jpg

HERE IS a slideshow showing a time lapse if you are interested.

If any of you are ever in the area (Redwood City), I would happily host you for some grub and cocktails!! Going to be a great summer!

Rich

Heck!! Wife and I are going to show up in the RV and stay!! That patio and layout looks fabulous. You are going to get many years of enjoyment out there.

That is one beautiful back yard Rich. I'm assuming that the grass is artificial turf. A little hint if it is, we have that in our backyard also and when we got a new vacuum for the house I kept the old one and use it on the artificial turf, works great to pick up the leaves and other junk. Really does an excellent job and a real time saver.

Thanks, all! Can't tell you how thrilled we are with how this project turned out....and, in case anyone was wondering, no, I did not do ANY of the work (other than writing checks.) :)

That is one beautiful back yard Rich. I'm assuming that the grass is artificial turf. A little hint if it is, we have that in our backyard also and when we got a new vacuum for the house I kept the old one and use it on the artificial turf, works great to pick up the leaves and other junk. Really does an excellent job and a real time saver.

RichD, that is turf, and thanks for the vacuum tip! :)

Hmmm.... OK. My 12' collapsible canopy seems a little lacking :( Seriously Rich, what a wonderful investment and upgrade. Looks fantastic and I am envious. Kudos to you on the engineering and design. I imagine the writers cramps will subside eventually from all that check writing.

WOW!!! That is one fantastic back yard. Great for parties and just chilling enjoy and stay cool.

So, did the kids grow up and move out...or did you just claim the backyard back?

Either way, it does look amazing, great job!

That's beautiful Rich. If all goes according to plan we're going to redo out backyard next year.

Looks real fine. Lots of room to party. Did you design the landscape? I really like the low maintenance aspect.

Only one Weber? Your sig shows more.

So, did the kids grow up and move out...or did you just claim the backyard back?

Either way, it does look amazing, great job!

You pretty much nailed that, Seth! Notice the absence of the trampoline and the play structure! The kids are still here, but they are old enough now to enjoy an "adult" backyard along with us. :)

Looks real fine. Lots of room to party. Did you design the landscape? I really like the low maintenance aspect.

Only one Weber? Your sig shows more.

Robert, my wife and I designed the yard along with well experienced input from our contractor who does many of these types of jobs. Low maintenance was the goal, which is why there's such a high percentage of hardscape.

The Webers are making their way out there slowly from the various places i had them stashed during construction. The WSM22 is out there as of this am, and the 22 w/Kettle Pizza will make its debut this weekend. I'm selling the WSM18 to my neighbor, and the mini will stay garaged for now. My Genesis is sold, and the second Performer is still awaiting refresh. I think that's all of them! :)

Good idea to have a fence, because I think your neighbors are going to start trying to come around more.;)

Back