Move the thermometer to the middle of the lid?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Has anyone every moved the thermometer on one of the older Genesis grills from the right side to the middle of the front of the lid like the newer grills. It seems like it would be much more accurate there. Plus, the ones with the thermometer on the side just look a bit odd to me. Probably because I am not used to them.

I suppose a guy could try to move the existing thermometer, but it would probably be a lot easier to just buy a new one and put it in the center and leave the original rather than leaving the mounting bracket empty.

Thoughts? Anyone have a picture of the mod already done?

I have thought about it but never wanted to chance ruining a perfectly good lid. As for moving the side one you cannot because it is very long. It was meant for dual purpose. As a meat thermometer also. You would not want that long rod sticking out in the center of the lid

I've never liked the idea. I've seen it where people have done it on grills on craigslist and to me it just ruins the lid. That said, I did add a thermometer to my kettle lid. Just use a center punch maybe and drill a hole. You can probably even order the weber bezel and make it look nice. You will have an outer edge of the hole where the porcelain will chip. This could be a point of entry for rust, but typically if you cook on it enough, grease will coat it. As far as I'm concerned the thermometer being to the side isn't going to be that less accurate than one at in the center, especially at high temps. You aren't going to be grate level anyway with the center thermometer.

I have a 1998 Weber Genesis 1000 with the Side Thermo and a 2005 Weber Silver B with the center Thermo. I wonder if you could just buy an Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum and swap the lids. The Grates are interchangeable, so maybe the lids are

The only advantage I could think of would be you might get a higher quality more accurate thermometer. But still it's not going to be grate temperature. At one time I had four of the older side mount thermometers. I heated my 1000LX until it stabilize at an indicated 325. Then I swapped them out to see how close they were to each other. The two closest to each other were about 40* apart.
the widest swing was 85* between the high and low.
I use them for reference only.

finding a thermometer isn't the issue. There are a lot of them out there that would work. I just was wondering if it would be more accurate or if it would be problematic for some reason. I installed one on my Q100 and it works like a champ....just like the newer Q1200's. I just wondered about doing it on a regular weber grill since the newer ones have the thermometer in the middle now.

Heck all this hand wringing over a thermometer and my Wolf grill does not even have one. With that grill you just grill. It's a "MANLY" grill LOL

I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to the thermometer unless I'm cooking low and slow. With my kettles it is usually one side hot for direct, and the other side not so hot for indirect. I don't use my gasser very often but when I do it's usually screaming hot, peg the thermometer and cook.

I've got this weird love of dial terms even though I likely will use a digital as well on something critical..

Bruce, I don't think it will be a problem. You'll just need a different one from stock that has a shorter probe. The one that goes in the newer ones would work. No it wont be that accurate. I'd get a tel tru though.

Yah, they sell inexpensive ones at walmart. I think Charbroil brand or something that have about a one inch probe. I put one on my Q100 where the new Q1200's have them and it seems to work very well. They are only about $7.

For me, accuracy isn't all that important really. I use the thermometer as a reference more than anything. Is the temp Hot, medium or Low and is it being maintained. I have always grilled without one in the past and got along fine, but the thermometer is a useful tool. That being said, if my Genesis and spirit grills already have them on the sides and they are proven to work well there, then I probably won't mess with it. I just figured that if Weber has recently moved them to the center of the front of the hood, then maybe the older side mounts would be better off being relocated as well.

So just confirmed. The hood from my Silver b with the center thermo fits on my 1000 lx.

So, instead of drilling a whole through your hood. Buy a cheap silver b on craigslist and just swap the hoods.

Back