Whats your opinion of this??

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
So I have been a weber smoky mountain user now for about 12 years. I have always used a empty water pan as my heat shield covered with a piece of tinfoil. Just to let you know this is the 18 inch model. The one thing that has always bothered me was that the water pan was not very close to the body of the smoker So while the food is on the top grate The parts close to the edges would always get over done or burnt due to the direct heat. So I had a thought today of foiling the lower rack which goes all the way to the edge of the body therefore not allowing direct heat to come in contact with the food that is on the upper grate. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm just wondering if it will stop the convection from happening in the smoker. Thanks for your input.

That's actually a really good idea thanks for your input I think I will give that a try on my next cook

I know I'm late on this but if the foil on the cooking grate works you could get a piece of sheet metal from Lowes and cut it with tin shears to make a permanent 2" wide ring ring to sit on the cooking grate. I did that when building an ECB for my married grandson and it worked but it takes time to get a good fit.

Worth a shot but you may do a test run first. Of course I can't find the thread but a few years ago someone posted that no matter how big a fire he made, he could never get his temps up. After many people's insights, it was discovered that he was foiling his grates and that prevented any heat getting to the meat & thermometer. Once he removed the foil, alas it worked well.

Just my opinion, but I believe the unit was designed for a certain air flow to properly heat, smoke and stabilize. Maybe this tweak will prevent your "edge burn" but create other issues. I tend to keep all my meats at least 1"-2" from edge anyway.

Good luck and let us know what you do and the results!!!

Back