Genesis G1 "Redhead" Rehab

Phil T

Picked this Redhead up for $42 of CL in Indianapolis several weeks ago. Original owner gave me the assembly and parts manual. Parts call outs and directions are much more complete than for my 2016se330. Lucky I have a Fastenal store less than a mile from home, an Ace Hardware and a Tractor Supply within 2 miles as sources for parts.

All fasteners will be replaced with SS. Most are rusted beyond saving. High temp anti-sieze will be used. Looks like Fastenal has the Plastic end caps for 1 1/4 tubing. The slides for the drip tray
will be replaced with the ones ordered from Amazon. The FBs are nearly new and appear to be SS, no porcelein coating, so that is a plus. Grates have been replaced and should be good for awhile, thinking cast iron for them if it is available, maybe next year.

This grill has the real wood side table on the left, a wire basket on bottom, a wire condiment basket on the right hand side of the control panel. I have the new ignitior souced from local Ace about the $ as Amazon. Picked up an 8ft. piece of cedar yesterday at Lowe's, looks very close in dimensions to the Durawood table on my old 2 burner Spirit (1996). Also sourced new castors from local Ace, This model did not have casters on the left side and the bottom of the legs are rusted away. Will use a cut off wheel to cut legs to fit the standard casters, will be easier to move and also fix the rust problem.

I am finding subtle differences between other Genesis projects and this G1, must have been a short production run.

I have already spotted a Greenie and another Redhead on local FB marketplace. With 3 gassers and a charcoal kettle on the premises, I have to slow down for a while, looking for a deal on a 14 or 18 WSM. I have the sickness

Phil T.

Back