Redhead modified resto

MikeBass

hi everybody. i'm new here but have been restoring these things for a while. my latest was kind of a rush job for a family member. i frankensteined a redhead because they like the newer style tables on my genesis gold b. i'm proud of it tho. people who have seen it already "want a red one".

Did you substitute the new table tops for the old wood ones or did you have to put the old redhead firebox on a newer frame with the table tops already on it?

Anyway, one other update I thought might be nice would be to mount a thermometer in the front center of the lid like the newer ones have. I don't know, but I would think it would give a more accurate reading than having it tucked over into the corner. Thoughts???

I have one sitting in the garage right now just waiting for some attention. But, I need the drop down table hardware. I don't suppose you still have that laying around from before the update??? I would be willing to pay shipping for just the metal parts...the brackets and support rod. I don't need the wood slats.

wow. i think i do have the original table hardware. message me if you want info. really send your address. i have a lot of access to weber supplies.

That's pretty awesome. I have a stainless steel frame from a Genesis platinum and was thinking about retro fitting either my redhead or my greenie on it for fun. The bottom panel is rotted and its missing doors bit would be perfect to replace the slightly rusty cart on my redhead

to answer the question. i modified nothing. the new tables fit perfectly on the old frame. weber seemed to have kept standard dimensions on the genesis grills until the mid 2000s. the flip up table requires a slight modification to get it to stay in an upright position. nothing a little L bracket can't fix. i would never attempt to modify the lid to move the thermometer. it's fine on the side. the middle is just aesthetics.

Last edited:
Great. That is good to know. I haven't pulled my redhead off the frame yet. It is a 1993 model. But, I have a newer Genesis 3 burner that might just wind up being a parts grill anyway. So, if the redhead frame is in bad shape, I could always consider putting it on the newer frame. I guess I could also go with the updated tables and maybe even the handle (not sure on that one) if I wanted to. But, I really like the old style wood which I will replace with my own wood slats. Kind of a personal touch thing.

Back