Managing Temperature/Extreme Temps.

Michael Roberts

TVWBB Fan
I am in need of advice on managing temperature on a Q2200. I'll preface this with I have NEVER cooked on propane. I am loyal to charcoal though I got this grill for my mom as propane is easier and more convenient for her. I connected the tank, opened the valve wide open, then opened the "on" valve on the red connector to the tank from the grill. Turned the knob to the "start" position then lit it up. Within a few minutes the temperature exceeding 600. I had the burner adjustment on the lowest setting and it was maxing out the temperature gauge. Again not ever having cooked on a propane grill I don't know what I should adjust that would enable my mom to have a consistent temperature without having to constantly change the valve position. Any advice?

There may be a regulator issue causing it to get excessive temps. The Q2XXX series is much like the Q2XX series and does not have the greatest temp control. On high it will pretty much max out the gauge but even on lower settings they run kinda hot. Oddly though they seem to cook really well

should I have both the propane tank valve and the regulator valve open all the way?

There may be a regulator issue causing it to get excessive temps. The Q2XXX series is much like the Q2XX series and does not have the greatest temp control. On high it will pretty much max out the gauge but even on lower settings they run kinda hot. Oddly though they seem to cook really well

Valve on the tank should always be open all the way. As for the control valve you set that where you want it anywhere from low to high.

If I remember right, the Q220 that I use when RVing settles in at about 375 to 400 when on low over a period of time, if I cook indirect that temp works fine, when I use the grill I go for higher temps, and a steak gets the 575 treatment.

Back