Inherited 2012 summit s460

MikeBass

hello everyone. i am new to the forum but hope i can get some insight here. i have restored many weber genesis and a few spirit gassers. my lucky find this year was a 2012 summit 460 ng. it has salt water damage to the bottom so i am thinking i will build it into an outdoor kitchen and use my own doors on the face. any ideas on how to best set it up without the factory bottom would be great. thanks. i already inserted aluminum bars into the frame to create legs in the front. it's stable. it just needs a new gas line and a serious cleaning. well. and to be built into a structure. but it was free so i can't complain about that. any ideas on how to build it in. should i use brick work or metal framing and bardi backer. i have never built one in before. i can run the gas line no problem tho. i just need to build the island.

Last edited:
Too bad with the salt water damage. That is a lot of grill there. It is probably functionally just fine and once you rebuild the frame, it should be a great cooker.

I wish I could give you some guidance, but that isn't something I have any experience at. If you are going to build it into an "outdoor kitchen" maybe a brick base would be a possibility.

I built a Marine ply bottom panel with notches for the side frame and coated it in bed liner for an s620 I was flipping for cheap. Used cabinet magnets for the doors since the originals couldn't grip on the rot. Worked out great, added rigidity and held doors perfectly. I would post pics but can't figure out how but it may be worthwhile

That would be a tough grill to give up on. I would think you can get it back to working condition for little investment and have an awesome grilling machine. Even if it doen't look real pretty, it won't affect the function.

First thing I'd do would be to invest a bit of time in cleaning things up a bit, specifically, the front control panel/knobs and the outside of the of the lid. Basically, make sure that it will look good before investing anything else into it. If it cleans up nicely, then if you have the ability, build your own frame/support structure for it, whether that means a new box frame, or build your island/counter so that it will just drop it.

that's a good point. i'm going to degrease it and scrub it down. if it checks out i can focus on making it look good. i'm normally not even concerned with keeping them. i have never done a built in. but my wife loves the idea. and an almost free one is better than 2k. i will keep up on the progress here.

Also watch for rust in the steel sections of cook box that support the grates and around where the burner tubes are. Everything else is not the kiss of death. Flavorizer brackets are easy and can be had rather cheaply

Back