Getting a good char on burgers?

ErikMn

TVWBB Member
I'm not even close to a grillmaster, but I do ok. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? But how do you get a good char on the outside of burgers? Im cooking on a Genesis 1000

I crank up all the burners in my Genny until the grill is 600-700*'s
I then turn off one burner (the one on the right, which basically turns off half the BBQ) and cook my burgers a couple minutes on each side indirect
I then move them over to the hot side that's still going full blast and give them a minute or less each side. I get basically what you're looking for

I have a cast iron griddle that I put on my gasser and crank up the heat. This is my favorite way to cook burgers.

I crank up all the burners in my Genny until the grill is 600-700*'s
I then turn off one burner (the one on the right, which basically turns off half the BBQ) and cook my burgers a couple minutes on each side indirect
I then move them over to the hot side that's still going full blast and give them a minute or less each side. I get basically what you're looking for

Theres 3 burner controls to the right, Ill just turn off the middle one and try this method tonight.

I have a cast iron griddle that I put on my gasser and crank up the heat. This is my favorite way to cook burgers.

I have cast iron grates but maybe Ill try that next time I find a cast iron griddle.

CI griddle will increase desirable crust. Screamingly high heat will do well but, more contact= more crust

I just cooked some up got a nice char and a little crunch. Maybe a little less time on indirect and slightly less over high to char and I think they'd be juicier and a tad less crunch. But they were still good.

G16DFXU.jpg

Here's my process: After your grates are cleaned, rub an oil-soaked paper towel on your grates. Get the grill over 500F and put the burgers on. I let mine sit for 1 minute then rotate them about 45 degrees on a new part of the grate. Cook another 1 minute. Flip them over and repeat the same process and times. Done.

We grind out own burger so they're closer to 90/10 (not fatty). We also make them about 5" across and 1/2 inch thick. I cook them until the juices are clear. They cook faster than those smaller fatty ones that, IMO, always come out still raw in the middle. Slightly pink is OK, but I don't like my meat bloody.

Since I've been smoking and learned to cook to temp, I like my red meat at 147F IT, the wife at 155 (although she doesn't not know that).

Give it a try with 1 burger and tweak it from there.

I just cooked some up got a nice char and a little crunch. Maybe a little less time on indirect and slightly less over high to char and I think they'd be juicier and a tad less crunch. But they were still good.
Those look pretty dang good to me Erik. Let's mix it up a bit and do a reverse sear, that helps keep things juicy. What I suggest is:

1) Get that Genny cranked up
2) While she's getting hot, put some extra virgin oil on your burgers
3) Turn off one side of your Genny for the forthcoming indirect
4) Put the burgers on the hot side of the Genny and give it a minute or so on each side
5) Move the now seared burgers to the cool side of the BBQ and cook them until you reach your desired temp (I like 130)

Report back with your result (photo)

Nice cook!

Smashburger!! Use a cast iron griddle. Don't make patties, make balls. Set it on the hot griddle and smash it with a spatula or a press - this will give you a lot of surface area in contact with that hot griddle, so you get a really good char. Give it a few minutes, flip 'em over for a few more minutes (no more smashing, you'll push the juices out), and done.

I just picked up a grill press from Williams and Sonoma, works great. Still working on my timing to perfect the burgers, but I'm really digging the smashburger process.

fXzMU1v.jpg

I made some pre made patties from the grocery store deli, package of 2. They came out pretty decent but not a lot of juice, I think they were more lean. I'm going to try a recipe with more fat. Med beef maybe.

I made some steaks came out good but well done. I cooked them on high 5 minutes a side. 2 minutes less on each side would have been better.
55DEeNZ.jpg

Great looking burger Chris, I grew up eating burgers from a CI pan and a home made flat top that would sit over a gas top stove or the charcoal grill.

One of the virtues of a Kettle often missed is its ability to combat flare ups. Fatty burgers can be sizzling directly over hot coals...any big flames...on goes the lid. Unlike most gas bbqs, the Weber is almost airtight, so the supply of oxygen can control the flames.
I get great "flame broiled" crust this way.

Back