Thai Red Curry Chicken On A Very Hot night

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been planning this cook for about a week. My wife and I love Thai Food. Along with the chicken I made Spring Rolls and dipping sauce and a nice cool Thai Cucumber Salad with Peanuts. Some Jasmine Rice as well. In spite of our 110 plus weather, the cook was on. Quite a bit of prep work and I got started Sunday afternoon, the day before the cook. Made a Chili, Lime and Cilantro Dipping Sauce that I wanted for the Spring Rolls on Monday. Didn't take too many pictures as it was just too freaking hot and I was tired. Whipped it up and put into the fridge overnight.

Sauce included grated garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, Thai Chilis, cilantro and sliced scallions.

enhance

The next day got going on the prep work for the remainder of the cook. Here's the ingredients for the Spring Rolls.

enhance

Ready to go.

enhance

Cooked the Spring Rolls using my camp stove to avoid making the house any hotter than it already was.

enhance

All done.

enhance

Got going on the Red Curry Chicken. Used bonless, skinless chicken thighs, one pound.

enhance

Sauteed some onion, garlic and ginger.

enhance

Added the chicken and the Red Curry Paste.

enhance

Added the coconut milk and brought everything to a boil. Then reduced heat by raising grate and let simmer for 20 minutes.

enhance

Getting very dark and it was a long day. Didn't feel like moving my lights. You get the idea here in spite of the shadows.

enhance

With five minutes remaining, threw in the green beans for 5 or 6 minutes.

enhance

Warmed up some Garlic Naan.

enhance

Chicken done.

enhance

Here's the cucumber salad made earlier in the day.

enhance

Plated with some Jasmine Rice.

enhance

The Red Curry Chicken had wonderful flavor. I was a little disappointed in the low heat level. The cucumber salad had a nice bite to it however. The Spring Rolls were fantastic and will be doing them again soon. Had a couple left that will go with some of our left overs this week. When I pulled the chicken off the grill our temperature was down to 108. Great grilling weather. Have a good week everyone. Thanks for looking.

That looks great Cliff. We love Thai food too. I make red curry at least once a month, maybe have to do it on a Weber next time.

When I pulled the chicken off the grill our temperature was down to 108. Great grilling weather.
108 is not great grillin' weather in my books :)

You could not have made better looking egg rolls, that's as good as it gets. I'm not a huge fan of Curry, but I have to say your Curry Chicken looks pretty dang good. If it had been me, all that would have been for dinner would have been the cucumber salad which looks fantastic, I love cucumber salad. Did you get the Garlic Naan at a regular store, or a specialty store? I'm half surprised that you didn't make it from scratch. How about the game last night? I have to admit, I got a little testy when they put Kontos on the hill, but that didn't last long for which I was glad :)

You always impress, Cliff, love this one, and will be stealing it! Do you have any recipe links for the spring rolls and curry chicken?

Thanks!

Rich

What an ambitious undertaking! You don't pull any punches, do you - even when it's 108*. Beautiful cook & plate!!!

We love Thai food, but rarely eat it. That is going to change.

X2 on links for the curry, cucumber salad & spring rolls.

Last edited:
Got to hand it to you Cliff, I'm impressed, that cook is unbelievable in the heat you've got there. It sure looks fantastic. We are on fire restriction so no charcoal. Even with the three gassers I'm just chucking some chicken on and doing very simple cooks. Just can't handle the heat anymore.
Stay cool my friend.

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments.

Did you get the Garlic Naan at a regular store, or a specialty store? I'm half surprised that you didn't make it from scratch. How about the game last night? I have to admit, I got a little testy when they put Kontos on the hill, but that didn't last long for which I was glad :)

Chuck The Naan was from Winco. It's over in the meat dept. Go figure. Homemade Naan is on the radar.

As far as the Giants... don't get me started :mad: At least it looks like Buster will start in the ASG.

Do you have any recipe links for the spring rolls and curry chicken? Rich

X2 on links for the curry, cucumber salad & spring rolls.

Rich and Robert. Here are the links I used for the Red Curry Chicken and Cucumber Salad. The Spring Rolls were kind of a hybrid of 2 or three recipes. I'll cut and paste the ingredients I settled on.

http://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/thai-red-chicken-curry

The Cucumber Salad

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/thai-cucumber-salad-peanuts

Here's the link to the Dipping Sauce if anyone is interested in that.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/thai-style-chili-lime-and-cilantro-dipping-sauce-recipe.html

Here's the ingredients for my spring rolls.

What You'll Need

Spring roll wrappers (about 12 wrappers)
1/2 cup crunchy bean sprouts
1/3 head of green cabbage, chopped thinly
5 green onions, chopped
1 cup thin noodles, pre-cooked (use rice noodles, Chinese noodles or bean thread noodles)
1/4 cup fresh herbs (use cilantro, basil or mint, your choice - I like a combination of mint and cilantro or mint and basil)
1/4 cup carrots, grated or julienned
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (optional)

Last edited:
Thanks for the inspiration Cliff, I made a good size pot of curry today. Pretty much the same as yours only I added cubed sweet potatoes to it.

Thanks for the inspiration Cliff, I made a good size pot of curry today. Pretty much the same as yours only I added cubed sweet potatoes to it.

Interesting choice Pat. The coconut milk toned down the heat on mine, and I think the sweet potatoes might act in the same manner. Hopefully you'll post something.

Interesting choice Pat. The coconut milk toned down the heat on mine, and I think the sweet potatoes might act in the same manner. Hopefully you'll post something.

Cliff, I'm cooking for the family so I try to keep the heat down. It seems at the restaurants they kick up the heat with Thai chilies or chili paste, I usually use red pepper flakes in these dishes to kick it up a notch.

Back