Smoked Pork Butt Has Dry Bark Moist Inside

ChrisS

When I cook a pork butt picnic in the oven, it comes out perfect - nice crispy bark, slightly oily, heavenly, and moist on the inside. I put the oven on 240 degrees, forget about it, and let it cook until internal temp is 200 degrees.

When using my 18" WSM, I prepare the butt the exact same way. I try to maintain the same temperature, forget about it, let it cook until the internal temp is 200 degrees. In the smoker though, I have the water pan filled. However, the bark comes out more dry and leathery... perfect on the inside, but the bark is not so great.

Any ideas?

You should be able to get amazing bark in your WSM. Try using your WSM without water in the bowl. I went from using water, to an empty bowl, to a clay pot holder and finally ended up using a heavy duty pizza tin (wrapped in foil) as my diffuser. I definitely found that removing water from the WSM was the key to killer bark in everything I smoke. From Ribs, to Drumsticks to Pulled Pork.

Foil it. I always use water in the pan for what it's worth, and my shoulders come out great, but I may go waterless in time to come.

When I cook a pork butt picnic in the oven, it comes out perfect - nice crispy bark, slightly oily, heavenly, and moist on the inside. I put the oven on 240 degrees, forget about it, and let it cook until internal temp is 200 degrees.

Chris, there are a couple of reasons for the the difference in bark, but perhaps the main reason is that there is airflow in the WSM and not in the oven. The airflow carries moisture out of the cooking chamber. FWIW, I use water (to raise the humidity level in the WSM) and I foil the butt when the bark is nicely set. I love crispy bark on brisket, but it's more of a nuisance in pulled pork. Foiling keeps the bark more tender for pulling.

Jeff

If you're seeing that result, I would recommend wrapping the butt in foil once you get the bark that you want.

I also use a water filled pan for long cooks like butts and briskets.

BD

Back