Weber influenced home depot ducane 30400040, early to mid 2000s

Chris in NY

TVWBB Member
Just acquired one of these from our boneyard. On the exterior, it is a nice looking boxy professional style grill kind of like a knock off of the Vikings and lynx of the era. 3 burners with infrared rear for the missing rotisserie it came with and a side burner. It used the "flamethrower" ignitors similar to the summit, actually made by the same manufacturer so luckily I have a bunch of scrap manifold and was able to get the two that weren't working to fire by swapping out the gas tube and electrode portion. 35 dollars invested in el cheapo Amazon burner and heat plate kit and a regulator that was free from one of the dozens we take when a customer has a hard line.

All in all, it's running perfectly, looks good, just struggles to get to 500 degrees due to the large amount of venting

As I sell a lot of grills and this one is of less value than a comparable weber I may just keep it for when I cook on the back deck. My redneck tendencies always keep me cooking in the driveway on the kettles, but it would be nice to have something out back so I can run out from the kitchen. Plus, the dogs pee on everything and it is all stainless so it probably won't mind them using it as a fire hydrant too badly

Anyone have experience with these things? They are an interesting design, seem decent though made in china

https://www.thespruce.com/ducane-36000-btu-gas-grill-discontinued-334637

My neighbor put the same grill out in his driveway with a "free" sigh on it. Of course I snagged it, had the cover and a never used rotisserie and was in excellent condition.. He told me when he turned on the gas he could smell gas with the burners off. Ended up being a bad regulator, $30 later it was fixed.
It sure was pretty to look at but didn't cook well at all. If you take the grates off and look at the burners you can see that the gas holes don't start until about 1/3 of the way in from the front of the grates .
That leaves the front of the grates worthless. Also it doesn't get hot enough to do a decent sear. Can't say anything about the roti never used it.
I put it on CLs and dumped it for $100.

Thanks for the input Rich, that's exactly what I figured. It was struggling to hit 500 degrees. At first I noticed what you mentioned about the burner ports starting a few inches up and was wondering if the Chinese ones I got from Amazon were different as the grill had rotted universal burners when I got it. I swapped the two bad ignitors with one's off summit valves I had laying around and the regulator was free. If anything I'll prob just scrape the cook box and clean the grates and flip it. Since I am always selling and don't like to keep things of value for myself I will probably use the summit platinum a4 I just took since it has a few small holes at the lip of the box and I don't think it would sell for much in that state. I'm sure it'll cook great though and the guts look good

Back