Nomex

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Do i want the 1 inch wide self adhesive nomex for my lit and door gasket on the 18 incher? I saw a roll of the lava brand for 15 bucks. 1 inch seemed kind of thick to me but maybe not? Thanks

Just found some 1/2 inch as well. What size would you guys use? I don't want to buy a kit. I just want a roll of black self adhesive

Mine was white self adhesive. Attach the door gasket to the door, not to the mid section. Then you can use a razor blade to trim the excess off. You won't see the gasket under the lid. I didn't need a gasket between the charcoal bowl and mid section.

Thanks for the reply. So you put the gasket on the lid and not on the midsection? Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So you put the gasket on the lid and not on the midsection? Thanks
No. That's not what JBooker said. He basically agreed with me when I recommended not putting the gasket on the mid-section, but on the door.

As for the mid-section, YES, install gasket on the horizontal lip on top.

I just put a gasket between the door, and lid. I didn't put a gasket between the charcoal (bottom) bowl and mid section. I attached the door gasket material to the door, not the smoker body. The lid gasket I put on the lip of the smoker body. I took my dermal, and a grind stone and went around the lip to rough up the porceline. It gives the adhesive something rough to bite in to instead of a slick surface. Then I wiped it down with acetone so there is no oil at all.

Did that stop most leakage? Im looking at using the 1/2x1/8" black fire gasket. Just seems like a good idea in these bullet smokers. Seems like the tighter they are the easier it will be to hold a consistent temperature for long periods of time

Did that stop most leakage? Im looking at using the 1/2x1/8" black fire gasket. Just seems like a good idea in these bullet smokers. Seems like the tighter they are the easier it will be to hold a consistent temperature for long periods of time

After a while the the lid to body will seal up on its own. On the door it helped seal it up.

For what it's worth, I inverted my door so any air gap would be at the bottom instead of the top. I think it makes a difference.

I put a gasket around the door opening and the top lip of the drum. No leaks at all. Top lip could use the 1/2in and door could use the 1in. You could probably cut the 1in in half if you bought a roll. I used the red high temp silicone for wood burning stoves.

Back