Thread: Cook time on 6 butts?

Cook time on 6 butts?

Hey guys,

I'm doing 6 butts for a July 4th weekend party. They will be 8-9lbers. I plan to put them on Friday sometime hopefully to be ready by Saturday at 12:30. About how long do you think this cook will go? I plan on wrapping to get through the stall. I know this all is approx. as far as time goes. I know they are done when they are done. Lol.

I just did 4 boneless butts about 28 pounds on my WSM 22". It took about 12 hours to temp, 2 hours to rest before pull.

Don't know if we don't know your cooking temp
    Posts are just my opinion. Be very kind to each other,
    Dave

I will be running 225-235.

TVWBB Member
    Could be anywhere from 9-12 hours...? But you could keep them warm with a 2-4 hour wrap.

Just depends on a lot of stuff, pit temp being most important. I did two bone-in 7.5 lb butts yesterday on my 18WSM thinking they would take 9-10 hours. Started the fire at 4AM; butts went on at 4:30AM. Just after the 7 hour mark at a steady 225 one was at 190, the other was a few degrees off. I let them go for another hour, but could have removed and wrapped them then.

No exact science...but I would say start the fire at 10/10:30PM the night before...put them on at 11:00 PM using the minion method. Wake up around 4 and adjust the vents slightly, back to sleep and check them again at 6-7AM.

Or you could make in advance....vacuum seal and then reheat day of at 12:30PM.
    26.75", 22", 18.5", 18.5"

Plan on 12 hours.