Outdoor Kitchen/Grilling Area - Pre-Fab or Build One? Input please

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Any thoughts on this topic? Wife and I found nice pre-fab unit that will suit our needs for $12,000. Includes Grill, 12x14 cover, tile counter tops, bar seating for about 6, fridge, two ceiling fans. Not doing a sink as I don't want to mess with the plumbing.

My other thought is to do one Owner Builder (I did my pool O/B and saved a ton of money) and sub out all the phases. I have the pad poured and kool deck on it, I've found a guy who would frame and stucco (if we wanted stucco), I have a rock guy to put some rock on the frame, I have an electrician. Would just need to find a counter guy, patio cover guy, and I think that's it.

Pros/cons of doing both? If I did O/B would cost be about the same for similar size unit? Going to drop a Weber Summit in for the grill so that's a couple grand right there. I did get a couple of quotes for a company to build one for me on-site and they came in from $30,000-$42,000. That ain't happening LOL.

Thanks, looking to pull trigger on this in the next couple of weeks.

If you think about it, it would seem that doing it owner/builder will get you exactly what you want
instead of someone else's idea. The cost per square foot at $30-42 thousand is totally insane.

I have nothing helpful to add but I do want to follow the progress & see the finished product.

Good luck!

tenor.gif

....come to think of it - someone here built a nice outdoor area - I remember seeing they did the counters out of stained concrete (don't remember who) - I also saw Phil replaced his inside kitchen countertops with nice thick wood that looked like cutting board material - I really liked the look of that.

Last edited:
I show people pics of my "grill garden" and they get impressed. Even more so when I tell them how much it cost and that I built it myself!
0522101442a_291955-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your prices seems a might high, I like to DYI things, and bring in subs for things where you need extravel hands, I would not own a outdoor kitchen without water you always need to wash hands, even a small bar sink. You are going to drop things that will need to be cleaned.
Plumbing in your area is a snap compared to living in cold country,frost lines ,etc.
Two put in more electric than you think, LED lights as you can dim them, some folks like a TV ,sound system, some like quite.
If I lived in your area I would make a very large covered area I like warm but like to controll my time in direct sun.

Thanks for the feedback guys, going to go O/B. The guy who I recommend for designing O/B pools said I've sent him so much business he'll design it for free!

Good point on the plumbing, prior to design I'm going to get a couple plumbers to come out and give me a ballpark on what it would cost. It's a long run to the water and I think even longer to sewer.

LED lights for sure! Thanks all!

Back