The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for protecting from rain

I guess my idea sounds red-necky, but smoke you meat on the porch stoop if you have one with an awning.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 06-22-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

TVWBB Pro
    I have a 2nd floor deck so I smoke under it. I still get winds so I hang a welding blanket from the deck and wrap it around the WSM. When it's windy I also put up a 4" plywood wall blocking the direction of the wind.

I want to (eventually) build one of those "outhouse"-style smoker designs to house the smoker during a session.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

does rain effect the temp quite alot? thinkig ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly_G View Post
    Does rain effect the temp quite a lot? Thinking ahead!

Yes, it does, at least for me. Every time a storm came up, my temps dropped to 200 or below. I don't think wind played a role in this since the smoker was protected by a wind break.

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly_G View Post
    does rain effect the temp quite alot? thinkig ahead!
    IMO, no. Just have to keep the rain OFF the WSM . If it hits the top, it will roll off the lid and down inside the unit. Won't affect the heat but will make a mess in the bottom where the ash collects. AND if the ash is high enough, may cause issues with the bottom vents.

Either a overhang roof or a patio umbrella/stand works for me.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Kind of depends on how much you want to spend. I bought a cheap easy-up type canopy from Wally World for under 50$. I screw the right down to the deck through the stake holes. I did have one good storm turn it into a pretzel, but we also lost trees in that storm.

for about a grand, Homedept sells all metal gazebo that should hold up to almost anything.
    Blue Performer 22 WSM

I smoked in my garage before, with the 16' door open and a big fan blowing any smoke out. I have a window and side door so I had good cross ventilation.
    Two years ago I bought a 6'x8' metal roofed gazebo for like a hundo on clearance from Meijer at the end of the year "grilling" sale.
    Keep an eye out, those work great and I tapconed mine down on my drive.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Fan
    I used the umbrella with my stand and place a few bricks on the stand ( 4 ) and does great job also bought a cheap umbrella just for cooks and cut a couple slots in top for preventing it to take off if have a strong wind but the Bricks hold nicely. Also can use a 40 lb bag to hold the u8nbrella stand lol works for me and no problems
    jerry
    :wsm18.5:: 22in: 22ingas gril wsm18.5:wsm 18:smokey joe::BABY Q 100

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Yes, it does, at least for me. Every time a storm came up, my temps dropped to 200 or below. I don't think wind played a role in this since the smoker was protected by a wind break.
    Forgot to mention my smoker was protected from the rain, although the WSM managed to catch some wind-blown mist.

Not sure why the sudden drop in temps, but it happens often in afternoon storms. As soon as the rain stops, the temps begin to rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
    I used the umbrella with my stand and place a few bricks on the stand ( 4 ) and does great job also bought a cheap umbrella just for cooks and cut a couple slots in top for preventing it to take off if have a strong wind but the Bricks hold nicely. Also can use a 40 lb bag to hold the u8nbrella stand lol works for me and no problems
    jerry
    How big of a stand are we talking about, Jerry? Got any pictures?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12