The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for protecting from rain

TVWBB Member

Ideas for protecting from rain

Would just a regular canopy outside be the best option you guys think? On Saturday I had to rig my golf umbrella with some gorilla tape on my desk. I guess just a big canopy would be best to protect it so I can smoke in the rain.

I at first picked up an old Patio umbrella with stand that someone put by curb, it worked fine. Had a few holes in it, but no big deal.
    Then recently, I picked up a EZ-up at a yard sale super cheap. It works good and more compact/easier to move, because I only use when there is a chance of rain.

Wind may be a significant problem if you use a canopy this time of the year. If you rig for thunderstorm winds you should be okay.
    "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
    18.5 WSM | 22.5 OTG (green) | 22.5 Kettle (OTS, black)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry D. View Post
    Wind may be a significant problem if you use a canopy this time of the year. If you rig for thunderstorm winds you should be okay.
    Yea, that is a given. I always strap down, don't want to be scrambling at the last minute.

TVWBB Member
    My only concern is wind. I could use my patio umbrella. But the winds scare me. I got plastic base and filled it with sand. But I still get nervous about if blowing over. And If I'm inside or walk over to the store or something and it blows my wsm over that could be a huge fire hazard. The base is pretty heavy so I can't imagine it would blow over but you never know. I'll test it out the next time we get high winds. A canopy would be nice but not being strapped down would be the problem and I don't know how to strap it down on concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBz View Post
    Would just a regular canopy outside be the best option you guys think?
    I'm pretty sure the only safe option is to move them into your bedroom on rainy days
    85 78

TVWBB Member
    Well I'm trying to start selling my Q since so many people like it. But if I get an order and then an unexpected storm comes though then I can't fill an order. Or if someone makes an order say a week ahead of time, I can't really say yes since I won't know the weather forecast. If I can see that the winds aren't going to be too bad I can use the patio umbrella.

This is what I do.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) WSM 14.5 Original Kettle Premium 26 18 OTG Kettle Jumbo Joe Gas Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only safe option is to move them into your bedroom on rainy days
    I agree with this! Wish I had enough room in my bedroom for all of them!

Nice idea there, Pat.

Do they make patio umbrellas with wind vents in the top?
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast