Ideas for protecting from rain

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
Would just a regular canopy outside be the best option you guys think? On Saturday I had to rig my golf umbrella with some gorilla tape on my desk. I guess just a big canopy would be best to protect it so I can smoke in the rain.

I at first picked up an old Patio umbrella with stand that someone put by curb, it worked fine. Had a few holes in it, but no big deal.
Then recently, I picked up a EZ-up at a yard sale super cheap. It works good and more compact/easier to move, because I only use when there is a chance of rain.

Wind may be a significant problem if you use a canopy this time of the year. If you rig for thunderstorm winds you should be okay.

My only concern is wind. I could use my patio umbrella. But the winds scare me. I got plastic base and filled it with sand. But I still get nervous about if blowing over. And If I'm inside or walk over to the store or something and it blows my wsm over that could be a huge fire hazard. The base is pretty heavy so I can't imagine it would blow over but you never know. I'll test it out the next time we get high winds. A canopy would be nice but not being strapped down would be the problem and I don't know how to strap it down on concrete.

Well I'm trying to start selling my Q since so many people like it. But if I get an order and then an unexpected storm comes though then I can't fill an order. Or if someone makes an order say a week ahead of time, I can't really say yes since I won't know the weather forecast. If I can see that the winds aren't going to be too bad I can use the patio umbrella.

I guess my idea sounds red-necky, but smoke you meat on the porch stoop if you have one with an awning. :p

Last edited:
I have a 2nd floor deck so I smoke under it. I still get winds so I hang a welding blanket from the deck and wrap it around the WSM. When it's windy I also put up a 4" plywood wall blocking the direction of the wind.

I want to (eventually) build one of those "outhouse"-style smoker designs to house the smoker during a session.

Does rain effect the temp quite a lot? Thinking ahead!

Yes, it does, at least for me. Every time a storm came up, my temps dropped to 200 or below. I don't think wind played a role in this since the smoker was protected by a wind break.

does rain effect the temp quite alot? thinkig ahead!

IMO, no. Just have to keep the rain OFF the WSM . If it hits the top, it will roll off the lid and down inside the unit. Won't affect the heat but will make a mess in the bottom where the ash collects. AND if the ash is high enough, may cause issues with the bottom vents.

Either a overhang roof or a patio umbrella/stand works for me.

Kind of depends on how much you want to spend. I bought a cheap easy-up type canopy from Wally World for under 50$. I screw the right down to the deck through the stake holes. I did have one good storm turn it into a pretzel, but we also lost trees in that storm.

for about a grand, Homedept sells all metal gazebo that should hold up to almost anything.

I smoked in my garage before, with the 16' door open and a big fan blowing any smoke out. I have a window and side door so I had good cross ventilation.
Two years ago I bought a 6'x8' metal roofed gazebo for like a hundo on clearance from Meijer at the end of the year "grilling" sale.
Keep an eye out, those work great and I tapconed mine down on my drive.

Tim

I used the umbrella with my stand and place a few bricks on the stand ( 4 ) and does great job also bought a cheap umbrella just for cooks and cut a couple slots in top for preventing it to take off if have a strong wind but the Bricks hold nicely. Also can use a 40 lb bag to hold the u8nbrella stand lol works for me and no problems
jerry

Yes, it does, at least for me. Every time a storm came up, my temps dropped to 200 or below. I don't think wind played a role in this since the smoker was protected by a wind break.

Forgot to mention my smoker was protected from the rain, although the WSM managed to catch some wind-blown mist.

Not sure why the sudden drop in temps, but it happens often in afternoon storms. As soon as the rain stops, the temps begin to rise again.

I used the umbrella with my stand and place a few bricks on the stand ( 4 ) and does great job also bought a cheap umbrella just for cooks and cut a couple slots in top for preventing it to take off if have a strong wind but the Bricks hold nicely. Also can use a 40 lb bag to hold the u8nbrella stand lol works for me and no problems
jerry

How big of a stand are we talking about, Jerry? Got any pictures?

Back