Way to certify 5Lb propane tank?

Garth C

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up a free 2000 performer with propane assist. I'm really committed to making the propane assist with the 5lb propane tank functional. Replacement regulator is cheap, and the proprietary rubber hose with orifice is in excellent condition.

Main question: Will a propane dealer convert to regular screw on connector (Acme Nut) and re-certify? The tank is equipped with OPD valve, but has the quick disconnect interface.

Even if it's 20 dollars to do so, it's cheaper than the 60 for a new 5lb tank.

Worst case I bite the bullet for a new 5lb tank.

You say the tank has the quick disconnect fitting so I am guessing that the barbeque also has the same opposite type fitting so I am wondering why you need to change out the tank fitting??
My propane dealer that recertified my tank had no problem filling the tank when he was done with the recertification. The dealer is named " Pacer", and he said that he used the quick-connect refill accessory on a regular basis for other tanks.

bit the bullet and bought a new tank with new acme nut and also a new regulator. I probably didn't need the new regulator, but when I went to the store for the tank, I picked one up so I wouldn't need to come back if the old one didn't work. It's the first dollars i put into this freebee grill. Piezo igniter lit up on first try.

If I ever get the old one in state where somebody will re-fill it, i'll use it for the go anwhere grill.

A_9rZtss_h6Kenvd3bQ4EJPlth8Lnbf8-qWo0Jhw1RP0iIUHA8lbpKKXKBPAbUvo-YxEm5_tOVo90i0aruPw0D2Qzj4BYcbP4HDV7Cjw79dw5vpMove6XLuDm6EAVVO3X-W5Gkjy-I0=w1700-h956-no

cXByGQDqcttJABDtsaCt33w5661hie96GnfdttUqUZmJO9PmxGMkT-2c7HZhA3yRf3EnNtbNuCEMHYo4eDbjTnvOLfG2pwMOdNvyKfxLk5qxJnG69eAJUjbSoekkVPBsituJsdrtzn8=w1700-h956-no

Last edited:
Garth, American Propane will convert your old bottle to the new top for $40 - but you can buy a new bottle for less than $40 at Walmart, so why bother? Beside American Propane is anything but American (imho)

All they do is take the top off, inspect it for cancer, if none exists, they put the new top on and call it done. Like I said, it would cost $40 to have that happen and it would cost about $30 for a new bottle. The downside is if the bottle does have cancer, they still get your $40 and if you want them to dispose of it, that's another $10

My propane place checks and certifies (when needed) when they fill. No extra charge at all. And they fill for about ten bucks, an exchange is 20. Makes sound financial sense to me.

Haven't found a place within a 10 minute drive in my area that would certify. I haven't tried very hard, but the usual places where I re-fill suggested places 15-20 minutes away from me. I used to think there were lots of these around, but possibly the propane exchange market closed many of those.

I live in the easy bay in the SF bay area.

febd223718e866fba5e053c3534ba16134136c2fddb1069d48d2c34ba6337c35.jpg

Nearest actual office (not exchange or refill partner) is 15 miles away. Only open 8-5 mon-fri when those 15 miles can take up to 50 minutes in traffic. I'll call the office first to even find out if they will do it and the cost.

I can drop by before or after my drive into work or during lunch hour, since I work near there.

thanks.

Nearest actual office (not exchange or refill partner) is 15 miles away. Only open 8-5 mon-fri when those 15 miles can take up to 50 minutes in traffic. I'll call the office first to even find out if they will do it and the cost.
I can drop by before or after my drive into work or during lunch hour, since I work near there. thanks.
Note, I'm not endorsing them, I can't stand them. But...They're pretty much like pg&e, where else are you going to go....? Hope it works out for you

Back