Water Pan Alternative

Dave Car

TVWBB Member
I was wanting to replace the water pan in my 14.5 with something more flat. I Picked up a 12" terra cotta saucer - the water pan is 11.5", do you think the extra 0.5" will matter?

Also - anyone have another option? I looked for porcelain plates and all kinda of anything round that can take a lot of heat but struck out. I read a post where a guy used plate steel - but I dont have the means to cut one :(

Thoughts on the 12" and other options?

Many thanks! Dave

Could I use one of the aluminum weber water pan covers? I think I would add something with more mass to it. Like rocks/sand/broken terra cotta pan. And then wrap in foil. Another user said the terra cotta saucers broke over time :(

I have been using a ceramic pizza stone. I lined the water pan with foil, then set the foil wrapped pizza stone in. I then put several layers of foil over the top with a little sag in to collect grease etc. I should buy some Reynold's stock. It works well as a heat sink and clean up is very easy.

I am still searching for the 11.5" perfect solution. Found a guy locally who will cut 1/4" steel for me for about $25. Might try that.

I was wanting to replace the water pan in my 14.5 with something more flat. I Picked up a 12" terra cotta saucer - the water pan is 11.5", do you think the extra 0.5" will matter?
Does the 12" fit without touching the walls? If it does, it's perfect. I run a 12.5" in my SJ-Mini, I have about 1/2" clearance from the walls and it's without a doubt, the best diffuser for my SJ Mini. Now if I want a high heat cook, I pull out the clay and use a pizza tin. Not a cheap pizza tin....I spent $8 :)

I am still searching for the 11.5" perfect solution. Found a guy locally who will cut 1/4" steel for me for about $25. Might try that.

Dave, you can find sheet metal at local scrap yards for not much money. Just tell them the size you're looking for, although you'll have to trim it to size with a sharp jigsaw blade unless you know someone with a band saw. Looks like you could get by with a piece of .125" plate though? Quarter-inch plate is heavy.

EDIT: If I still had access to my old CNC burn table, I'd burn out all sizes and sell them here for a few dollars plus shipping. :D

Last edited:

Back