Automatic Temperature Controller Options for WSM

Darrin H

I'm sorry if this has been posted in a sticky or other post. I looked and didn't see what I was looking for.

What temperature controller options exist for the WSM *outside* of the Stoker? I'd like to get my WSM fired up again for the summertime and would like to see what real options exist.

Many thanks!

BBQ Guru, Pitmaster IQ, Auber instruments among others. I tried the Auber on my 14.5 and was less than impressed, but I have to give it a couple of smokes before I deem it no good.

Darrin.. I've used the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 for several years and it has served me well. Never had a problem with either of my controllers. Did have to replace one probe a while back, but i think I might have stepped on it causing the problem. Getting ready to give the CyberQ a try here pretty quick. I realize your post is several days old, but in the event you haven't already bought something I thought I"d give a thumbs up to this controller. Good Luck

I went ahead and bought a Flame Boss 300.

Some things I really like about it (over the Stoker 1 I have/had):

1. Keeps temperature like a champ. Check out the temp graph of first cook I did yesterday.
2. Easy access to wi-fi, auto BIOS updates when connected to internet
3. Customer service is *very* responsive, and I had an answer to a query I sent in 1 hour after business hours. I feel like they would actually update or repair a unit quickly if I sent it in.
4. Variable speed easily removable fan - decent design although may air leak a bit on some units using universal kit (looking at my temps, no issue with mine)

Thing I don't like:

1. Unit is not directly addressable (as far as I can tell), so no access to unit via app or browser if no internet access. I could be wrong about the details here, and they did say that true local access was in progress.

Bottom line for me is that for a single pit, this is a winner assuming you have access to internet. It is still a winner if not, but there doesn't appear to be a non-internet logging option yet.

YxjcRsN.jpg

Last edited:
I'm drooling about the FB 300, a bit pricy though.
Its for now the only with variable fan, what I know. all the others are on/off regulation of the fan

Back