Propane Leak?

Dex from NJ

TVWBB Fan
Long story short - I had my propane tanks refilled at Amerigas instead of exchanging them at Home Depot.

I dont recall either tank making a hissing noise before, but maybe I wasn't listening for it. I tested one so far.

Is this the sound of a leak or tank that was overfilled? Should I use it some and see if it goes away?

I turned the grill on for a few seconds, but it didn't stop. All connections appear to be tight. It does stop when the valve is turned off.

Upon first turning it on, I did hear what sounded like pressure relief and small a little propane. I dont think I smell it anymore...maybe a tad. If so, it surely isnt strong like after the initial connection.

P.S. this is a genesis e-330 and it is a biotch putting the tank on the scale.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Long story short - I had my propane tanks refilled at Amerigas instead of exchanging them at Home Depot.

I dont recall either tank making a hissing noise before, but maybe I wasn't listening for it. I tested one so far.

Is this the sound of a leak or tank that was overfilled? Should I use it some and see if it goes away?

I turned the grill on for a few seconds, but it didn't stop. All connections appear to be tight. It does stop when the valve is turned off.

Upon first turning it on, I did hear what sounded like pressure relief and small a little propane. I dont think I smell it anymore...maybe a tad. If so, it surely isnt strong like after the initial connection.

P.S. this is a genesis e-330 and it is a biotch putting the tank on the scale.

Thanks in advanced.

That does seem really suspect. The soapy water test is probably the best method. If you get a bunch of bubbles you know for sure.

so....I did the bubble test, but nothing really happened.. just small soapy bubbles that i think were from me applying it. If I put my hand over it, the sound was muffled and I think I felt some air - but I'm not sure. There was definitely a slight smell of propane.

I did try my second tank and there was no noise at all. I am going to take this one back, maybe it is overfilled, but I'd rather not take a chance and blow up:)

so....I did the bubble test, but nothing really happened.. just small soapy bubbles that i think were from me applying it. If I put my hand over it, the sound was muffled and I think I felt some air - but I'm not sure. There was definitely a slight smell of propane.

I did try my second tank and there was no noise at all. I am going to take this one back, maybe it is overfilled, but I'd rather not take a chance and blow up:)

Probably a good idea. I just pour the soapy water all over that area and you should see quite a bit of bubbles, but you clearly had something going on.

to clarify. Is that video taken with the propane tank valve open, but your grill's valves closed?

Do both your tank(s) do this. You did say Tanks (plural).

-Garth

The grill was on - only one of the two tanks does it.

For my own knoweledge - would it matter/be same issue if the grill was off?

if the tank of gas is on and the manifold is all off and it makes that noise you have a leak. don't be stingy w soap. use a little dawn and mix it w water. pour it all over that regulator and the top of the tank. it's coming from somewhere. if it only does it w one tank then i would take the other right back and ask for another. they cycle those out rapidly. don't ever use a tank that makes a noise or smells.

probably just a bad tank, i got got one like this from home depot. something messed up with the threads on the tank valve so my hose never locked down enough to engage the oring. swap it out and youll be fine.

I finally got a "new" one. They swapped it out and said exactly that - the threads or ring was pushed in.

Slightly off topic - Amerigas has horrible hours - 8:30 - 4pm M-Friday, but good customer service. I think I'm sticking with home depot or the local gardening store due to more convenient hours.

Back