Smoking some pork spareribs tomorrow; advice?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Hey everybody, about two weeks ago I used my new 22" WSM for the first time. I smoked two racks of baby back ribs, and they came out wonderful.

Well, tomorrow, I'm smoking two racks of baby backs, and I also have two racks of spareribs; I found them for $1.59/lb. at one of my local grocery stores and couldn't pass them up.

I never wrapped my baby backs, and they were wonderful (again). Do you think the spareribs will possibly take longer? Is there anything I need to know about them, in particular? I've never smoked them before, so I'm just wondering.

I hope the weather remains clear tomorrow. I can't wait.

The smoke ain't happening today. Too big of a chance for a storm. I'm shooting for Tuesday now. I've been asked to wait until the 4th, but I said noooo. Can't wait that long. I'm having smoked food withdrawals.

5 1/2 lbs of chicken thighs, 4 racks of ribs, a tube of bologna, a 4 lb. pork shoulder, a few ears of corn and some mac and cheese will be meeting the ol' 22" WSM on Tuesday if the weather cooperates.

I appreciate the replies.

How did your cook come out, Timothy?

Little lady's family (in 'Bama) is making me super hungry today ~~ chicken thighs and chicken on a stick (wrapped in bacon), smoked with cherry.

The smoke ain't happening today. Too big of a chance for a storm. I'm shooting for Tuesday now. I've been asked to wait until the 4th, but I said noooo. Can't wait that long. I'm having smoked food withdrawals.

5 1/2 lbs of chicken thighs, 4 racks of ribs, a tube of bologna, a 4 lb. pork shoulder, a few ears of corn and some mac and cheese will be meeting the ol' 22" WSM on Tuesday if the weather cooperates.

I appreciate the replies.

How did your cook come out, Timothy?

Little lady's family (in 'Bama) is making me super hungry today ~~ chicken thighs and chicken on a stick (wrapped in bacon), smoked with cherry.

It came out great. Storm's rolled in and had to bail out and move to a foiled pan in the oven to finish.

35346019236_85750bc3ee_h.jpg

34575973003_65f6c7cbc5_h.jpg

34542581014_12813d2cf7_h.jpg

Tim

Put the spares on the hotter rack in your smoker. Top rack should be hotter, quite a bit hotter if you use water in the pan. That will help even out the cook times. Spares will take half to full hour longer.

Back