Best setup for rotisserie on Genesis 1000

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got an early father's day gift a OneGrill rotisserie for my Genesis 1000. This thing is nice! All 304 stainless. It's probably overkill, but why not. I'm probably going to spin some chickens on it tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe use the rear burner indirect and keep the temp around 350? Take the grates out, obviously. Do I need a pan for drippings or would it taste better if drippings can hit the bars? Should I throw in a smoker box and if so where?

Dustin congrats on the rotisserie. I have one for my 1000 also. I always take the grates out and I use a drip pan most of the time especially with chicken, if you don't you end up with quite a mess and possible flare ups. I'm hard pressed to get 350 with just the back burner 325 is about max if it's still outside, but we're at 5300 feet so the air a little thinner here.
I have a cast iron smoker box I use for the gassers I put soaked wood chips in it. It works okay but you won't get the same results as wood chunks in a charcoal grill. The gasser flows a lot more air than the charcoal grills so the smoke kind of blows by the food.
You're going to love the way the chicken comes out on the roti.

Rich, Thanks for the advice. Obviously I know I can't get the same flavor from charcoal, but I'm looking forward to this cook. After seeing LMichaels non-stop extolling the virtues of rotisserie on this type of grill, I couldn't not get one!.

You're going to love it. I already miss mine (it's now living with daughter and son in law). Funny, she literally "grew up" with that old red head, now it's with her and her husband. Depending on what you cook there are various methods (i never did things the same way twice) because of what you're cooking and it's size i.e. a whole chicken and Cornish hens are both chicken but they cook differently. So you may find yourself using only one burner at a hotter setting or 2 at a lower setting. It's a fine art and one that is well rewarded. I must say I use the Wolf and it's infrared but miss that old Weber. The flavor profile from the Weber is different and in some ways better than the infrared on the Wolf but than on the Wolf I can do things (unconventional things) because of that IR burner I could never accomplish on the Genesis. In any case it's an outstanding way to do larger cuts. Heck I have even done ribs on the rotisserie. Though they were good they were more work than I felt they were worth. But hell YMMV

Well, the chicken turned out great. I think I wound up with the rear burner on high and the front on low when it was all said and done. It seemed like it took a lot longer to cook them than I expected, I guess because it basted itself. The taste was phenomenal though. Definitely worth the time.

If you use a smaller drip pan more heat will get to the bird and allow for better browning, crisper skin and faster cooking..................otherwise I guess my invitation was lost in the mail?

What is the purpose of the weight on the right hand side? My $30 parts donor grill came setup with a smoke box, only one grate, and a rotisserie. It doesn't have a motor, and only has one set of spikes. But what has me really confused is what the weight is meant to do. I'm really keen to get it going soon (unless a motor is prohibitively expensive) so I can cook outside and and not bring so much heat into the house.

Thanks,

If you use a smaller drip pan more heat will get to the bird and allow for better browning, crisper skin and faster cooking..................otherwise I guess my invitation was lost in the mail?

Cool call on that! Yeah, that drip pan was all I had on hand. I just I knew I had them and didn't realize how big the thing was until I put it in the grill. I'll find something better next time. It wasn't blocking the rear burner but it definitely was blocking the front and screwing up air flow. I'll remember your invite next time!

Steven, the weight is just a counterbalance for whatever you put on the spit. The instructions say to lay the spit across the grill and roll it so the heavy side faces down. Then put the counterbalance pointed in the opposite direction. This motor will do 50 lbs easy so, the weight is mostly unnecessary, but good balance on the spit is better for the motor.

I am going to get one of these (rotisserie) soon. Hopefully, I can find one used on craigslist. I missed out on a decent redhead with a rotisserie for $50. Even if the internals of the grill were toast, it was a steal. I hemmed and hawed over it too long. :)

Anyway, I have a question. If you pull the grates, what do you rest the drip pan on? Do you just set it on the Flavo bars?

Hopefully, someone got a new grill for Dad's day in my area and wants to dump the old dirty Weber (with rotisserie) in favor of the new gift.

I am going to get one of these (rotisserie) soon. Hopefully, I can find one used on craigslist. I missed out on a decent redhead with a rotisserie for $50. Even if the internals of the grill were toast, it was a steal. I hemmed and hawed over it too long. :)

Anyway, I have a question. If you pull the grates, what do you rest the drip pan on? Do you just set it on the Flavo bars?

Hopefully, someone got a new grill for Dad's day in my area and wants to dump the old dirty Weber (with rotisserie) in favor of the new gift.

Yeah, I just put the drip pan on the bars.

Yep, that is the beauty of the deep box with a double row. You can take the top row out and have plenty of room for a pan under the meat along with room for the meat itself. This is a 12 lb turkey on my Genesis 1000.

2018 Thanksgiving Turkey (6).JPG

Back