Do I really need a kettle?

Dennis - CurlyQ

So far I have a Genesis II e-310. Absolutely love it. Someone would have to pry that thing from my cold dead hands. It's a workhorse that can put out some fantastic food. I more recently added a mini that I built. That immediately became a keeper. So easy to do low and slow cooks on, at way less fuel cost than using the gasser for a 10 hour cook. I'm seriously thinking about adding a kettle to the arsenal. I don't think it'll replace the gasser for me, but there's just some things I would rather have cooked on charcoal, such as steaks. Don't get me wrong. The genny makes a fine steak. I'd also really like to cook brisket. I don't think they'll fit in my mini, and it's just so expensive and fiddly to do such a long cook on the gasser. What do you guys think? Am I losing my mind? That will be 3 cookers. My wife is gonna look at me crosseyed when she comes home to see the kettle one of these days.

Dennis, a kettle would round out your arsenal. I cook on my Performer more than any of my other grills. 3 cookers, your just getting started.:cool:

I have an 18" kettle and a 22" kettle. Just added an 18" Smokey Mountain. You might actually need two kettles. Hahaha!!

I used a Genessis gas grill exclusively for about 20 years. About 3 years ago I got a kettle and now use the gas only a few times a year and I prob grill 3-4 times a week at least. Charcoal has changed the way I cook and I don't miss the gas at all.

Darvin

Having eight Weber's you can't have to many :rolleyes: My favorite is my Jumbo Joe followed by my performer. The JJ is 18" and perfect for the two of us for quick cooks such as steaks, burgers etc. The performer even though it uses more fuel, is bigger and can do so much more from L&S, smoking, grilling large items such as roasts, turkeys, etc.
Overall I would go with a 22.5 kettle if I was just going to have the one.

I took the plunge. Weber 22" kettle premium. After a cleaning/seasoning run I tried out my first cook on it from meat I had already. 2 chuck eye steaks, 2 drummies, chicken hind quarter, 4 russet potatoes, broccoli, peppers and some portabella cap slices. I wanted to dive right in and see if I could manage all this on just the kettle. It came out great. I can see why people love these things. Setup for indirect for the chicken and didn't have to touch it. The two zone setup played out like I expected it to when it came time to add the veggies and sear the steaks.

You won't regret it. I justify the kettle and WSM by pointing out that we have a stove and an oven. On the deck, the kettle is the stove for grill/roasting and the WSM is the oven for long even cooks. Cheers!

"Do I really need a kettle?"
Short answer:
Yes!
They do different things than the gasser or WSM there is learning curve involved but, you do get to eat the mistakes and then they do,not sit around to haunt you!
I'm with Dan in Florida, 22/18 and 18 WSM, not including some unfired other small format Webers and a hibachi. I use the 22 five or six times a week rain or shine even in the snow, it's Michigan, what can I say?

Yes you need the trifecta. I've always had a Weber kettle and grew up with them and just recently got the same gasser you have and love it, but it's not a coal cooking kettle. The original idea of the Weber kettle has stood the test of time and someone is always doing something new with them. Yes you need a kettle.

I took the plunge. Weber 22" kettle premium. After a cleaning/seasoning run I tried out my first cook on it from meat I had already. 2 chuck eye steaks, 2 drummies, chicken hind quarter, 4 russet potatoes, broccoli, peppers and some portabella cap slices. I wanted to dive right in and see if I could manage all this on just the kettle. It came out great. I can see why people love these things. Setup for indirect for the chicken and didn't have to touch it. The two zone setup played out like I expected it to when it came time to add the veggies and sear the steaks.

that was fast, 1 day question, next day cooking.

Charcoal is interesting, I've been using my gassser for 12 years, and only recently got a charcoal after getting a WSM last year. there is definitely a learning curve for temp control, but it is a new experience.

that was fast, 1 day question, next day cooking.

Charcoal is interesting, I've been using my gassser for 12 years, and only recently got a charcoal after getting a WSM last year. there is definitely a learning curve for temp control, but it is a new experience.

Just remember as long as you're having fun you're doing it right

I leave my 22 staged for indirect method at all times, get a set of the good 304 SS baskets and fire the chimney. I was lucky and received a set of the baskets last year for my birthday, I've used them several times a week since. It is a wonderfully easy method!
You started with a good assortment of meats and treats! There's no looking back now. You can't let the rest of the world see how much of the work is done by the kettle, let everyone think you have slaved for hours! Shhhh, don't tell

I can't imagine doing without a kettle. I have an 18.5" model, but I will be adding a 22.5" kettle one day.

"Do I need a kettle?"

Why of course you do.
Where else would you put your 304 stainless charcoal baskets, your Vortex, or the other half a dozen Weber gizmos you have or will have?

Back