Alerts via SMS AT&T MSG body empty

Bill Herbert

TVWBB Member
Hi There, was just playing around with the alert functionality of my 4.2HM. Ive configured and tested my SMTP email client. I can send email alerts ok. I get the default message body in the email alert. SMS, with AT&T selected as the provider, does not seem to be working so good. When I test an SMS alert, I get the message and it shows me who its from - but the msg body is empty.

Using my iMacs email client, I've tested sending an email to <myPHoneNumber>@txt.att.com, which comes through fine. The sms is received on my iPhone, has a FRM field and a MSG body field that contains the text of the originating email.

Anyone got a quick fix for this?

Have you changed the default SMS message? Sounds like something is messing up in that part more than anything else. Try changing the message to "ALERT MESSAGE" and seeing if that works. The SMS function is just an email with no subject and the body is just the message text so there's no reason that shouldn't work.

I have not changed any of the default message under SMS Notifications. I did what you suggested; cutting out the variables and replacing the message text with 'ALERT MESSAGE'. When I click the button to test, I receive an SMS, it displays a FROM field with the configured email address from the smtp config but again, an empty message body. Not sure whats going on. I tried sending another test message through my Mac's email client, this time omitting a subject to see if I get the message body. That worked. This isn't a big deal to me but I would be interested if its something I have misconfigured or if its really broken.

Have you changed the default SMS message? Sounds like something is messing up in that part more than anything else. Try changing the message to "ALERT MESSAGE" and seeing if that works. The SMS function is just an email with no subject and the body is just the message text so there's no reason that shouldn't work.

I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't work but it sounds like you've tried all the options. I did try it on my Project Fi and it worked, but Fi is absolutely nothing like the infrastructure of an cellular provider so that could be why. Did you check in the event log to see if there was an error in sending the message? Maybe the SMTP server is giving a clue, or there might be an error from the alert script on the HeaterMeter. (Status -> System Log)

Back