New Weber comes with some scratches

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
I guess I'm coming here for a sanity check.

I bought a new S-440 LX Genesis II. It came delivered and assembled. I got it with the plastic coverings on the hood, doors, tables etc. And peeled off some of them at the time of delivery to ensure everything looked good. It did.

Around the next day after doing a through cleaning of the outside to ensure no remaining sticker coverings before firing it up, I noticed some scratches through the paint on the side of the cookbox. they're not super noticeable unless you're inspecting the grill from the side. I'm trying to decide whether I'm being too picky, or whether I should call Weber on this, or if its the dealer i should be calling (who will probably tell me to call Weber)

I also noticed that at the top of the firebox where the lid comes down on the firebox there are 2 spots where the paint is missing already. I've only cooked on the grill twice and had it for 6 days.

I'm more concerned about whether the scratching on the paint will make it more susceptible to losing more paint

I would not be happy if I bought a brand new S440 and it had scratches. I'd contact the retailer and if that doesn't get you anywhere, try contacting Weber. You'll need to be able to provide high resolution digital photos, if making a claim to Weber

I'm all about trying to keep mine as new as possible. After 1 -2 years of normal use you'll have so many scratches and stains, you'll not care about these.

I don't think it's worth the effort. However tolerance to this stuff varies so it's up to you.

When I bought my Genesis EP330 in 2014 the drip pan had a pea sized ding in it. I called Weber CS and the first thing they did was apologize and walk me through registering my new grill. After that process new drip pan was sent to me 2nd day air and I was told to just keep the original pan. It is still sitting in the box in my garage rafters for the distant future date that I give my grill her high mileage overhaul.
You spent your hard earned money on a new, finished product and you should expect just that.

If I dropped $1400 or whatever on a grill and it was scratched and missing paint in a couple of places, I'd be on the phone immediately with someone. Yes, it will have some scratches in a year or two, but you didn't pay good coin for a 2 year old used grill in near mint condition. You paid good money for a brand new grill that shouldn't have scratches and missing paint.

I agree, either the retailer or Weber or the shipping outfit should and will make it right. As far as scratches go, I don't know about the newer Webers, but the older ones are surprisingly bullet proof on the hoods with the ceramic coating. I have refurbed several as old as 15 years and they have all cleaned up surprisingly well. Just some simple green and #0000 steel wool will clean them up and then a shot of glass cleaner and microfiber cloth will make them shine almost like new. It seems almost difficult to mar the finish on the older hoods.

Back