Quality time with my old Genesis 2

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Got to spend some quality time yesterday with my old Genesis 2 at Mom & Dad's house. Dad and I cleaned the porcelain enameled lid with 0000 steel wool & Simple Green, brushed the burner holes clean, and cleaned & lubricated the gas valves. This 27 year old grill takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

DD9JpsR.jpg

xicIx74.jpg

PoqMbRH.jpg

dDiFHlO.jpg

7CoFs3i.jpg

qrn5aiC.jpg

Ws2MbHf.jpg

higxUmd.jpg

That's awesome Chris. I love the old webers too. I actually enjoy cleaning and maintaining my two old webers.

Very nice looking oldie Genesis. Mine isn't quite as old (1999) but I bought it new and still love the old gal, great grill.
100_0164_zps4qtbcatd.jpg

Got to spend some quality time yesterday with my old Genesis 2 at Mom & Dad's house. Dad and I cleaned the porcelain enameled lid with 0000 steel wool & Simple Green, brushed the burner holes clean, and cleaned & lubricated the gas valves. This 27 year old grill takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
Aren't old Weber BBQs wonderful? I just love my old kettles. I hope someday to get a 26" Steer head kettle, I keep looking but they're hard to come by...Congrats on you investment

I have a 1993 Redhead in the garage that I will be refurbing for my personal use. I expect it will look similar to yours once I get it done. But, I have a question about your photos. Those black plastic thingys on the burner tubes where they fit onto the manifold; are those what they call "Spider Guards"?

I recently picked up two identical grills, built the same year and all and one has those things on the burners while the other has the meal screens around the vents like most others that I have seen. I assume the plastic things were simply an early version of spider guard. Yes/No????

Bruce,
Those are indeed Spider Guards and they were on the last two Weber's I did. When I replaced my last two burner tubes with Weber #7506 they do not use those plastic Guards anymore but a metal screen instead.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff:
That is interesting. I am guessing the plastic ones are the first try at spider guards before they went to the metal screens which is what I have seen on all my other weber grills since. It is just funny that I have two identical grills which were manufactured just three months apart and one has the plastic guards and one has the metal screens.

Yah, I hope my redhead comes back that nicely. The only thing I would suggest is to clean up that Weber Logo on the lid. There is a "how to" somewhere on here and i did it to a name plate just this week and it made it look better than new.

The only thing I would suggest is to clean up that Weber Logo on the lid. There is a "how to" somewhere on here and i did it to a name plate just this week and it made it look better than new.
Refreshing the logo is a future project.

There's a bunch of info on cleaning up the logo in forum posts...I summarized them in this "how to" on The Virtual Weber Gas Grill: Restoring The Weber Emblem

Chris the slats on the redhead look great. I'm restoring a Redhead 1000 LX. I really like the durawood that I have on my green 2000 unfortunately the Las Vegas and Phoenix sun did a number on the durawood on the two parts grills
Actually this restoration now involves parts from three grills.

Could you give me any information on what you used for the slats.

Thanks.

I have a Genesis 1000 with wood that is shot and missing the swing table. I found a donor grill with the swing table and it has the regular table, both in durawood. However, I am planning on replacing them with wood. I know it won't last as long, but I love the look much better than the fake durawood.

Chris the slats on the redhead look great....Could you give me any information on what you used for the slats.
Those are original redwood slats that have been painted with a barn red opaque stain. We chose opaque because there were a lot of stains on some of the slats.

At some point I removed the swing-up table...long before I understood the importance of keeping it. :(

Chris:
The stain looks good. The wood on mine is rotted and cracked. I could use the durawood on the donor grill, but I am going to replace my wood.

But, I have a question about your hood. I just got around to cleaning mine up last night. I found that there are tiny specs of black in the red. It almost looks like over spray from black paint. It isn't carbon. I used steel wool to clean it and I scrubbed one area exceptionally well to see if the black specs would disappear and they would not. You can't see it unless you get up close. From 5 feet away, it looks completely clean and red. Is this typical how they came from the factory?

Not to steal his thunder but, yes that is how the reds look. Like speckles of black are in it. I think it's part of the porcelain process but really don't know. Every red lid I've seen no matter the model has this. I have noticed the same thing on other colors but die to the shade(s) it's not as noticeable

Back