Question: Pork Loin Top Loin Chops, Boneless

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
HI!
I picked up a package of the above at Sam's today. 9 chops, 5" x 2" x 1 3/4"!
They're really pretty.
I want to smoke them over some pecan.
I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some good, but simple, methods.
Maybe brine or marinate, rub and how much charcoal, what temp for the WSM.

TIA,
Charles

If I had 9 of those, I might try 1 or 2 at a time, no marinade, maybe the Slap Yo Daddy rub recipe and try
to keep the temp around 250.

From TIA to TFN in 19 hours, that's a record ~

With Pork Chops, you can't go wrong with just Seasoning Salt

Charles has been a member since 05 and he should know how this forum works,( sometimes you don't get a quick response.):)
I like an apple thyme marinade on boneless loin chops, 275 till 140ish.

Tim

With Pork Chops, you can't go wrong with just Seasoning Salt
I'd salt them well in advance, too - a dry brine.

And one of my favorite fallbacks for pork chops is a good old Italian dressing marinade. I do tend to add a little extra salt but it's fine without it, too.

Thanks for nothing. I'll figure it out myself.

I apologize for my haste in the above reply.
I do indeed regret my lack of patience and failure to try Google.
I have some more of those chops for tonight, and will take your advice JimK to brine and grill hot.

I've been away from the forum for quite a while. Forgot my manners.

I have a Boston Butt thawing in the fridge. Going to do an overnight cook when it's ready.
Done this several times before. Kingsford, PartyQ, Maverick. Sleep all night, fall apart later the next day!

A bit late to the party here, but I would go along with those who suggested brining (dry or wet) and grilling rather than smoking. Lean cuts do much better with hot and fast. You could probably do low and slow with blade chops. Much more connective tissue there.

I think one of the most difficult lessons in cooking is that you need to let the cooking method be guided, if not outright dictated, by the cut of meat. You can't willy-nilly put together any two cut and method and expect universally good results. I recall my mother got a new slow cooker and wanted to put it to use on a center cut pork loin. I advised against this as I knew it was the wrong cut of meat for that approach, but she was insistent. It was singularly the driest pork roast I've ever had the displeasure of eating. Even with the gravy I whipped up it still was a very unpleasant experience.

Back