Bob Correll, Where To Eat In Your Neck Of The Country?

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Bob, Pammi and I are headed your way next week for the annual roaming family reunion and beer fest! We always try to get away for one night to be by ourselves. Where's a good place to eat that's mot too spendy?

Not too spendy?
McDonalds. :p

Another member visiting the StL area recently PM'ed me asking pretty much the same question, so I'll cheat and copy/paste some of my reply.

For bbq, Sugarfire, Pappy's downtown, and Bogarts south city are very good. Plan on standing in line.
We like Bandana's, modest prices, restaurant style service. Various locations.
There are many more good bbq joints here, but I have not tried most them.

For Italian, in the city, just about any place on The Hill.
Toasted ravioli for an appetizer.
Gioia's on the hill for hot salami sandwiches.

For burgers, and other good eats, Concord Grill in south StL county. They have an extensive burger list.

Ted Drewes for frozen custard, IMO, is a must, city, 2 locations.

The person asking did get back with me, they had burgers at Concord Grill and were very pleased.
We don't eat out a lot, but if you have a specific area where you'll be staying, or food type in mind, I'll give my best advice.
PS, the heat and humidity here are coming on strong, so dress accordingly.
:)

Hey Phil, you and Pammi should just show up at Bob's house! That's gotta be the best place to eat in MO! :wsm:

Last edited:
Bob, thanks for the tips! We'll be staying at a campground over in Eureka. The WSM is already in the back of the truck, so that'll be fired up next Thursday for Friday's party!
And we know about the heat and humidity. It's just a little warmer there than her in Charlotte!
And I was born on The Hill many moons ago! We moved when I was almost 5, so I remember very little of St. Louis!

And we know about the heat and humidity. It's just a little warmer there than her in Charlotte!

Ah, well, have you been to the Overton Zoo in Memphis during July? I was in my early 30s the first time I visited the area, and for the first time in my life, I had to take a rest from the heat. How folks survived near old man river before the days of air conditioning is a mystery to me.

Have a safe trip!

Last edited:
Phil, I believe Super Smokers is located in Eureka. I can't speak to the food as I haven't been there yet (I'm the "another member" Bob refers to) but I want to give it a try because it's somewhat historically important.

Also, since you mention beer you'll be happy to know that there are some pretty good micros in the St. Louis area. There's more than just Clydesdale p**.;)

Brad, we toured the big honking AB brewery when we were here 4 years ago. We also did the Schlafly brewery. I'm in Louisville right now and a good selection going back to Charlotte with me. Plus, I'm going to add more in St Louis!!

Hey Phil, where'd you wind up eating? If it was someplace good I'd like to know about it for one of my future StL visits - thanks!

Bob's recommendations have been solid. I asked him about a fried chicken place and he suggested I try Gallagher's in Waterloo, IL. I was there last Sunday and I can honestly say that it was some of the best fried chicken I've ever had.

Brad, we ate at the Urban Chestnut brewery one day and at Sugarfire BBQ another. Not sure which location, but it wasn't far from the campground, right off of the highway. Both were really good!

Back