WSM Temps On A Hot Day

ChrisBarb

Ok. Here is a question for all you no water in the pan guys. Ambient temp is around 95 degrees. I need 225 - 250 pit temp. Can this be done or do I have to go back to using H2O? Thanks.

The number of lit coals in part determines the cooking temperature. Reducing the number of lit coals will reduce the temperature. If one goes overboard and reduces it so that there are no lit coals, all you will have left is the ambient temperature.

If you need to get down even further, try the snake method which has just a couple of briquettes lit at a time. Works well for such things as when smoking bacon !

Yep to what Bob said, and also put it in the shade or have an awning or umbrella around. Full sun on a hot day an empty WSM can register 100 deg plus.

Tim

I will have to go to the snake, now that it's going to be over 100 everyday for the next 10 days and probably more. This is the middle of June and 100+ is unheard of at this time of the year here in the mountains or used to be.

Last cook I did, I piled my coals up and lit them with a fire starter. Controlling temp was much easier I thought. Using the minion method with 5-10 lit coals to start will work as well.

I will have to go to the snake, now that it's going to be over 100 everyday for the next 10 days and probably more. This is the middle of June and 100+ is unheard of at this time of the year here in the mountains or used to be.

God have mercy on you folks out there.

Back