Half burned briquettes

J Spang

I smoked a pork shoulder last weekend using the minion method. Much to my surprise after 7 hours of smoking I still have an entire chimney of briquettes that are from half size all the way up to entire briquettes not even burnt (most if them somewhere in between)! Would they still be good enough to use to smoke some ribs or should I pretty much just consider them waste from last cook?

I use my unburned and half burned coals from my smokers for short cooks on my Jumbo Joe and they work fine for HDs, burgers, BSCBs, chops etc. I just put them in a small tote and use as needed.
If your using a chimney to lite them and you have some small pieces put a few new ones in the bottom of the chimney, it will keep the smaller pieces from falling out and it will lite faster too.

I save all of my "used" coals for my grills. Smoking, by it's very nature, is a long cook. I use nothing but new briqs for smoking for their consistency.

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I did end up using my "half burned" briquettes along with a chimney full of new ones to cook baby back ribs for 5 hours. They turned out great! But I really like the idea of just using the half burnt coals for the grill. I think I'll probably do that in the future. Thanks again!

Yea well I just shake off the ash and top off with fresh coals.:)
You said you tried that and it turned out great, so why change?
I mean to each his own, but why take the time to remove partially spent coals and put them in a container, and reuse them again in another grill.
It's still fuel:confused:

Tim

In the past, we would use them in the chimney. Now I do as Tim does. Shake off any ash then top off the ring with new.

The process is rather like adding fuel to a car...

Back