First Butt on my WSM 18 tomorrow... Question

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I have my first cook tomorrow. It's gonna be an 8 lbs. Boston Butt. I saw somewhere to expect 1 1/2- 2 hours per pound. Will it really take 16 hours to cook?

I have done a lot of boston butts etc, I highly doubt it will take 16 hours. More like 9-12 hour range I would thing. Obviously if you can run your smoker in the 240-250 range it will take less than if you are in the 225-230 zone.

A few things:
1) your smoker might have some temp swings, especially as a brand new one. don't freak out (btw we all have ourselves but oh well)
2) You may hit a temperature stall for 2-3 hours, you will swear it will never move off the temp, chew your nails, curse the gods and debate ordering a pizza. but it will break and move on
3) check in through the day and take pictures.

good luck. you picked one of the things that is the hardest to mess up. I'm sure you will do fine.

I have done a lot of boston butts etc, I highly doubt it will take 16 hours. More like 9-12 hour range I would thing. Obviously if you can run your smoker in the 240-250 range it will take less than if you are in the 225-230 zone.

A few things:
1) your smoker might have some temp swings, especially as a brand new one. don't freak out (btw we all have ourselves but oh well)
2) You may hit a temperature stall for 2-3 hours, you will swear it will never move off the temp, chew your nails, curse the gods and debate ordering a pizza. but it will break and move on
3) check in through the day and take pictures.

good luck. you picked one of the things that is the hardest to mess up. I'm sure you will do fine.

Thanks!!! I've done several butts on my kettle. Loved them. And, you're right that they are very forgiving. I just didn't want to wake up at 3 to have it ready for dinner if that wasn't likely. Thanks for the tips!! Will check in tomorrow for sure.

Thanks!!! I've done several butts on my kettle. Loved them. And, you're right that they are very forgiving. I just didn't want to wake up at 3 to have it ready for dinner if that wasn't likely. Thanks for the tips!! Will check in tomorrow for sure.

If it does cook sooner than expected, wrap it in foil, and place it in a pre-heated oven. You'll need the down-time for redistribution of juices anyway. I finish mine around midnight, and the wife pulls the meat about 8 hours later after removing the butt from the oven. The meat is still very warm.

I agree with Keith on the cook times.

If it does cook sooner than expected, wrap it in foil, and place it in a pre-heated oven. You'll need the down-time for redistribution of juices anyway. I finish mine around midnight, and the wife pulls the meat about 8 hours later after removing the butt from the oven. The meat is still very warm.

I agree with Keith on the cook times.

That's a good alternative to what I was thinking (wrap it in foil and put in the cooler). What temp do you use for the oven?

That's a good alternative to what I was thinking (wrap it in foil and put in the cooler). What temp do you use for the oven?

It depends on the doneness of the butt. If the shoulder is not up to 205°, I cook it wrapped at 350° for an hour, and then shut the oven off.

If the butt is done (after pulling from the WSM), I might preheat the oven to 200° or so, and then shut it off.

Last edited:
I should know better by now than to try to post a pic on my phone, but too excited. We're up and running!!! Hope this pic works...

XsB9h

First 5 hours has been pretty smooth sailing so far. First three hours was cruising at right around 250*. After a spike to 265*, Inclosed the vents a hair more. Cruising at right around 225* since without making any adjustments.

Interesting...meat temp. has dropped 3 tenths of a degree in the last few minutes. Either my neighbor put ice on my butt or we're stalling (backwards?). Other interesting thing is that the grill went up about 15* over that time.

You probably know by now that the meat temp dropping a few degrees is no Big deal. Slow and steady wins the race.

Back