How do you determine what youll pay?

Seth G

TVWBB Member
This is for sale for $125 in my area with two propane tanks. Its not worth $125 to me. I asked her how much without the tanks. She said, make an offer.

I kinda really want a redhead. But, there isnt exactly a bluebook for weber grills. How do you know how much to offer?

- - - Updated - - -

Picture:

https://imgur.com/gallery/omjNP

Are the tanks full? I don't know. That thing's gonna take some work, but it looks like it's all there. Depends on the condition of the frame I guess and how often they come up in your area.

That looks a little like a Spirit to me,

Last edited:
Offer what you think it's worth, and don't be afraid to walk away. These grills, especially this time of year, reveal themselves often. Use time as your weapon, you can use time or money but not both.

Even with Blue Book, people still pay many different prices for cars. The "right price" is whatever you think is fair. As long as you're comfortable with the price and happy in the end, that's what the grill is worth. If you're not good at $125, offer what you think is fair for both parties.

side note::: not the picture of the "red head" I was expecting :)

Having owned a 1999 Weber Spirit 700 that appears to be a Spirit 900. The single frame cross brace with the rack on the bottom is the give-a-way.
Check the number of Flavorizer bars, if it's 5 and not 13 it's a Spirit.

The 500/700/900 models were the first to use the shallow cooking box and 5 Flavorizer bars.

I bought mine new and sold it last year to a Friend. It was and still is a fantastic grill.

Jeff

Wanted to add if you can make her the offer without the tanks that would be the way to go as I think, from looking at your picture, those are the older, quick release style tanks which cannot be refilled unless you get them recertified.

You can buy a new tank for $30 and add this style fitting to your grill and be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BQT5H2/tvwb-20

Jeff

Seth, I may have a nice redhead soon in riverhead. I kind of want to keep it as a project, but I kind of have too many projects, a baby, another one in a month and moving in the fall so it will never get done

Interesting, ive got to learn my weber history a bit more. I wasnt aware of the 500-900 years.

Would a weber spirit 900 lid fit on a weber 1000 firebox?

Interesting, ive got to learn my weber history a bit more. I wasnt aware of the 500-900 years.

Would a weber spirit 900 lid fit on a weber 1000 firebox?

I tried my 700 lid on my 4900 and it fit like a glove, so yes it will.

Jeff

So my understanding is the genesis 1000-4000 and the spirit 700-900 was available for sale around the same time (mid to late 90's). The main differences appear to me the 5 vs 13 flavorizer bars, the less deep firebox and the extra base support beam. Any other differences? Is the hood more shallow also?

With the newer models the genesis is higher end then the spirit, was this true even back then?

To me it appears to be a genesis 1000. With the durawood shelves and the wire bottom it's not an LX. Also Those bottles cannot be refilled because they don't have an OPD (overflow prevention device) inside them. It's illegal to refill them at least in California and here in Arizona and I think it's nationwide.

Here's some info on the early genesis models

http://www.webergrillreview.com/Genesis1_5.html

Prices range from $50 to $250 depending on the condition here in Arizona with the redheads being more desirable expect to pay closer to $100 in fair condition.

Last edited:
I think it's a Spirit 900. When I zoom on the photo, I think I see the crossbar at the bottom of the frame.

dQLCTT6.jpg

If the guts (flavo bars, grates, burners and igniter) are all in good shape, then $125 is probably a decent deal. However, if you have to replace any of them, I would subtract that from the price accordingly. Also, ensure the frame is not rusted too badly in any area, particularly along each side of the fire box. Also, it looks like there might be some of the RED enamel missing on the right front edge next to the side panel. If so, it would be hard to do anything about that. And if having a redhead is one of your key desires, I think I would pass on this one.

$125, to me, seems high, even with the tanks. Empty tanks in my area, are $0 - $10 each. I got a free one from the waste transfer station a couple of weeks ago, and then swapped it at Walmart for $14.23 for a newer (2011) tank full of gas. So whilst you probably cannot refill these two, my experience (done twice in last 6 months) is that you can swap them at Amerigas/BlueRhino etc for $15-$20 for a newer bottle with $15 of propane inside it.

If FB's are useable, and ignitor works, then to me, it's worth $75 tops. That's assuming the only parts I'd need in a rebuilt are paint and RCPlaner bars and stainless bolts.

If it needs more parts, like FB's, ignitor, castor or whatever etc, then it's really worth $40 max. In fact, I bought this one for $30. It is missing drip tray ($15) and has a single porcelain enameled grate and a smoker box setup. I feel that for $30, I did well, but have seen people find better grills on the side of the road.

I have see 100% working, clean, complete green colors Genesis' from the 1990's for $100.

Here's my price points for any grill up through Silver/Gold series of Gennys.

$250 for 3 burners with side burner
$200ish for 3 burner with no side burner.
$150ish for a 2 burner with no side burner.

Those are the absolute max amounts that I'd invest in a grill to get it into near mint shape with a nice set of OEM grates. If it is one that I'm keeping for myself or someone close, I'll up the amount just a bit to get some SS rod grates from RC. These amounts also include a tank, preferably one that can be refilled. Should also note that I don't bother with baskets or the warmer rack as I never use them.

When looking at grills on CL, I use those numbers as my guide. Take the purchase price of the grill, plus the cost of all the parts you would need and perhaps figure $20 for materials to clean and paint. If you are flipping it and want to make X amount of dollars for your time/effort, factor that in as well.

I really don't care for the 300 series grills with the E/W burner configuration, so I never bothered to try and put a value on those. The newer 300 series with the N/S burners are in the neighborhood of $325ish, $350 with a side burner, and perhaps up to $400 or so with the sear burner.

i would pay nothing for a used redhead. chances are that the only thing you are actually getting is the top. the manifold is old and the rest of it is fairly easy to find in a newer state. if i really wanted it maybe 40 bucks

Back