Rubber gasket

WillieWilliams

My 8 year old WSM was the unfortunate casualty of a tree falling in my yard, so this week I put together the replacement. Pretty much the same as my old one, except for the brilliant hole for the temperature probes.

Only problem, I cannot figure out how to get the stupid gasket into the damned hole!

Anyone have tips or suggestions?

Oh, and before anyone gets too sad about the old WSM, I am giving it to my new neighbor who thinks he can fix the legs and get it upright once again. I will teach him the virtues of smoking and how to use a charcoal chimney, even if it is just to reduce the amount of lighter fluid being used in the neighborhood.

Rub some cooking oil around the edge of the hole that the gasket fits into. That should help.

I wanna say someone had a brilliant idea of using oil and or some powder like talcum or baking soda, to get a grip?
I can't find it in a search, sorry..

Tim

Did you get the gasket in yet? I assembled mine on Friday night. I basically just spread the edge a little, pushed that little part in the hole and repeated, working my way around the gasket. It took a couple tries and I didn't use anything to lube it. Oh, one thing, when you push your probes in be careful. I almost popped the gasket out. But, I didn't have any problems when I pulled the probes out.

I have not had a chance to get this done. Been busy with non-smoking things. The next couple weeks will be all about it though.

Try using a little flour for an easier fit. Had zero problems with my 18.5", but had to use flour on my 14.5". Popped right in and stayed put. Good luck!

Back