First Time Using Royal Oak

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
First Time Using Royal Oak Briquettes

Had my first experience using Royal Oak briquettes last night. I’ve used KBB exclusively except once I tried some Stubbs which I liked, but very similar to KBB

One thing I liked about RO was the lack of white smoke at start up, there was a little but nothing like KBB.

Barb came out a said she like the smell of it much better than KBB and I agree.
The only other thing I noticed is it didn’t seem to burn as long as KBB does. Not a whole lot less but noticeable.

Cooked up a pork steak and it was very good, no off flavors from the charcoal.

Won’t get a chance for a few days to try it again as they have forecasted 40-50 mph winds through Sunday.
As of today we have fifteen wildfires burning in Arizona so I don’t want to be responsible for starting number 16.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Royal Oak?

Last edited:
Briquettes I presume? I use RO lump alot and have no complaints. I have used RO briquettes too. It does smell nicer & less smoke than KBB.

Briquettes I presume? I use RO lump alot and have no complaints. I have used RO briquettes too. It does smell nicer & less smoke than KBB.

I should have clarified that, yes it was briquettes. I changed the title and body to reflect that. Thanks.

Use briq and I think they last longer (less used in a 5 hr smoke on Monday--usually use kbb).

I have been a Royal Oak user for both briquettes and lump for a long time. Menards has a good price on it.
It just works well for me.

The one (red) bag I bought recently will probably be my last.
The dark blue smoke on light up is so acrid the slightest amount brings tears to my eyes.
It takes a long time to "burn off" and ash over before I'll put any food over it.

With some folks liking it and some not I have to wonder if there's a quality control problem, or a regional production difference.

I picked up a couple of bags from the sale. I hope they work out! I'm willing to bet it's regional production differences. I'm basing that on no particular information whatsoever.

The one (red) bag I bought recently will probably be my last.
The dark blue smoke on light up is so acrid the slightest amount brings tears to my eyes.
It takes a long time to "burn off" and ash over before I'll put any food over it.

With some folks liking it and some not I have to wonder if there's a quality control problem, or a regional production difference.

That interesting Bob, I stood right next to the chimney when I started it and for about 10 minuets or so, didn't experience any dark smoke or acrid effects. Just white smoke like KBB but much less of it.
I was reluctant to try it as the opinions on it are all over the place, but it was so cheap on sale at Lowes I picked up three bags to give it a try.

I'm not going to give up on KBB because my only gripe with it is the white smoke at start up is awful.

You may be right about the variances in production or regions.

When the winds die down I'll give it another try.

Like Bob H, I've been using it for awhile and like it. IIRC there are different areas where they make it . Some in the USA, and also in south america, mexico. That could be just for the lump or maybe for the brigs as well.
Was that the regular brand or the Ridge? I did a review on the Ridge here.https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?28038-New-RO-RIDGE

Tim

Mine is the regular red bag, made in USA stuff from Lowes.
Ash production was about the same as KBB.

Anyone know what all is in RO briqs?
Some folks don't like what's in KBB, but at least the info is out there.

Count me in for the acrid smoke as well, although I don't think it's as bad as Bob's experience. However, I will not use it for chicken unless it has ashed over, but minion-method pork tastes OK.

Found this on their web site...

Charcoal Briquets:

Our USA produced briquets are made from ground charcoal mixed and bound with cornstarch, which is then formed into Ridge briquets. The result is a consistent size and shape with an even, predictable burning time. Royal Oak briquets feature an innovative ridge, which allows for faster start-up times, quick ashover, and even burning. All our briquets are made in the USA with the highest quality control standards in the industry. They're easy to light, easy to cook with, and are a favorite of grillers all over the nation.​

http://royal-oak.com/grilling-101/all-about-charcoal

EDIT:

When I finished cooking I just let the coals burn out. Yesterday I went to clean out the ashes in the performer and I found a lot of partially burned coals at least 15, which I never find using KBB. Don't know why as they were all in about where the middle of the pile was.

EDIT:

When I finished cooking I just let the coals burn out. Yesterday I went to clean out the ashes in the performer and I found a lot of partially burned coals at least 15, which I never find using KBB. Don't know why as they were all in about where the middle of the pile was.

Vortex?

I like Royal Oak briquettes in the red bag, but I had forgotten how well regular Kingsford works for direct grilling. Grilled some burgers recently with Kingsford, and the burgers were very good indeed - although, I let them stay on the grill just a tad too long and lost the pink center I like.

The only time I get a funky nasty smelling smoke, is sometimes with RO lump you get an uncarbonized pc of wood which looks more brownish then black.
That smells like burning plastic and I always pull those off with tongs and toss them on the fire pit.
Starter media is the only other thing that gave me a nasty smoke. I prefer a propane torch or weber cubes, but I did try some Fatwood starter sticks one time.
That stuff really produces some blackish acrid smoke.

Tim

I picked up 10 bags of RO brigs on sale and have used 2 bags already. I've only used them for grilling so far and am definitely not getting the burn times nor as high temps as I do with KBB. I also find partially burned brigs the next morning after leaving them to burn out. Maybe I just got a bad batch. Never had this problem with KBB before...

Yesterday I grilled some burgers over RO from the one bag I bought.
They don't "catch" off each other as well as KBB, so it takes awhile for the tear inducing smoke to burn off, seems okay once it does.
But like George L says, not as much heat or burn time as KBB.
Gas assist used to light two baskets.
I tried to capture the acrid smoke in this pic.

6MoWQrmtJTQBxYKCEjnfnp4uE64vm1vBaxJfterbEavh3Cub2UrVRRFzjo-Co1huO44HTBDP65g3qcwbZkJUoy2I1BhPjsoZn_YSjcnSQHwbjkBd3D7bK3zMnjMtoBz9K1GYv6rgbtSe4zFLhD9jf2l1mkf_elci9Xexh-DNlSwDO2rtyYDSTJdN0wzfv1UOVWuW4-Y8XiBhXdIrNQ72kmo9ctHybU9FLExmLl8Is0Hpvu7PRuxBBGlEDaY3jyFBU3s_xY7FIt5JIhu-DOpOXy9oypdX4JYTBa4hSFff36qWR0rcWCkc0852vpPNqNYcRdj4P6uZzFeUei3M2F7M89pVz5b33oIFAnaPXHt7xigTZjGJi4xuDCl5fDri26fIFBMCbeHNWCfXkXdqxP_6bzl6_v8G4xoYmjlF3WL7N8CGqxIAwf_7soWg_XRG_w1aEQbKvTZwP1_qYAx-Fs8Th9ztvkPEOVIe4Bwa0xLgTunRuK0Wym97G9g8EVhQtMcURJgrw6HM3gPFdpLMFgF0Pwz40b6Y0XfnodIVLYKsRVsHqobK-ws-oBg49nfkkXxsNIqDYsK7ZJtuG0GehTjcdgLrXOUeTPGHKc5ESvekSyp_Gt2ONw7C3g=w772-h672-no

I tried them for the second time and tried to be a little more observant this time. Still didn't catch the acrid smoke Bob is detecting, although it was very breezy so it may have been diluted by the wind.
Agree it doesn't burn as hot or as long as KBB and still had way to many unburned coals this morning.
Think I'll stick with KBB after I use my three bags up of RO.
Now if KBB could fix the white smoke fog I would be a real happy camper.

To me, Royal Oak has longer burn time than Kingsford, or at least in the WSM. Granted, I haven't used Kingsford much since purchasing Weber products due to ash buildup, but time will tell now that I have a few blue bags to burn through.

I've strictly been using the Ridge since 011, maybe they changed something on the RORB.

Tim

Back