I have 8 pork butts to cook on wsm 's opinions welcomed !!

Grant W

TVWBB Member
Let's start with what I have, I have 2 18.5 wsm and 1 22.5. In my head I was thinking to do 4 butts in each of my 18.5 cookers, because in my head they will both run about the same. I have 15 hours max to do this.

The cookers would run just about the same but the butts may vary anyways due to size or just because they will. Having said that if they will fit (which they should) I would us the 2 18.5. Sure you can't get them all (all 8) onto the 22.5?

Did a test fit and all 8 on the 22 are tight, can be done though. 4 on an 18 with some real light trimming they wouldn't even touch.

Yeah I'd go with the 2, 18's. Seems it would be tight in the 22 and those butts won't cook too well if there touching each other...

I believe you'll get done quicker if you go with 18.5" smokers.

Does the 22.5" WSM use about the same amount of coals as two 18.5" models?

I would go with the single 22.5 just for ease and simplicity of only having to monitor or control a single smoker, but that's just me. It all boils down to the plan that you feel most comfortable with. If you think going with the dual 18.5s is the better option then I truly believe you should go with it. You my man have options, and that in and of itself is a great thing!!
Good luck, and take pics, and keep us posted,
Tim

I have the 2 18.5 ones going. One is a 1993 and one is a 2011 model. The older one took a lot a longer to get to temp and I lit them the same way, kinda funny I don't move as fast anymore either lol

Every thing turned out real good , but with that much meat in there I will never again run water, water was building up underneath my coals causing temp drops. So I had to remove the coal baskets twice to drain the water.

...but with that much meat in there I will never again run water, water was building up underneath my coals causing temp drops. So I had to remove the coal baskets twice to drain the water.

Very odd.

I have never experienced that before. I always have to add water to my bowl.

Guess I'm late to the game, but 8 butts in a 22 is certainly do-able. I did it a month or so ago and if I were to do it again, I'd stand them up on a side and use bamboo skewers to keep them from touching.

Back