Refurbish or buy new?

Frode

I am thinking about doing some charcoal grilling again after several years with a Q.

In the garage I have my trusty old 1997 red 22,5 kettle. It is in desperate need of some touch and love. It needs new grates, a new ash catcher and one touch system, and a good cleaning.

I am thinking gourmet grates and a few accessories, a pizzastone, one touch gold ash catcher convertion, and dome thermometer.

Question is: is it wort it, or do I buy a new kettle?

Me I like to restore things so I would do a rehab on the 97, if there is no rust and the legs are sturdy it would be worth it. Even if you buy new the accessories are going to be extra anyways.

At the prices in Europe ? Definitely restore if the bowl and legs are in good shape. That is, unless you just want one of the other pretty colors available across the pond

I 2nd what the others have stated plus food taste better on something you made happen. Good luck and keep us up dated on our rehab.

Took the kettle out and gave it a good cleaning today. Status is as follows:
The grates and the one touch system is beyond repair. The kettle and lid does have some surface rust, but I think I can brush it of an season it with some oil.

Have been checking spare parts prices. If i refurbish and upgrade by buying new charcoal grate, gourmet grate, ash catcher, one touch system and a side table, it comes to exactly the same cost as buying a new kettle(but then
I would have to get the gourmet grate and side table).

Looks like a refurb will be the most value for money.

So I took the weber kettle out for a testrun the other night just to experience the charcoal grilling again.

It turned out quite different than I expected! For starters getting the charcoal going takes quite a bit longer than turning on the gas. Getting up to temp, and staying there also took more patience and fine tuning than with the Q.

And I had completely forgotten about the charcoal dust, flying everywhere when i opened the lid.

On the plus side the kettle gets quite a bit hotter than d Q does. So I imagine searing steaks and baking pizzas would be great!

All in all, not just the positive experience I had hoped for. Gas is very convenient, but maybe charcoal would be a nice challenge to master, when I have the time for it!

Cooking on my q grill is fine for quick grills. Food turns out fine. But when I cook with charcoal I can see and taste the differance. Add some smoke and you are in another dimension. Love my q but I would get rid of it and keep my kettle if I had to make a choice.

Charcoal is the best, though gas is easier and faster.

You could try to find a second hand kettle to refurbish yours. Here, second hand charcoal grills are not so expensive.

Little gas grills ok for hot dogs and camping.

As for temp contorl, If the one-touch vanes are trashed as you indicate you basically have zero temp control. so don't judge based on that. The "vanes" in the bottom get bent up by charcoal bits or baked on lumps of stuff from indirect cooking. when you open/close the bottom vents the vanes get bent up and you cant bend them back down without taking them off.

I think Red is a semi collectible color since they quit making them in the 90's due to pigment chemical hazards. new red ones are different red.

If you have the master touch with the rod going around the back of the grill for the lid to rest on, that's a keeper. much better than the hook inside the lid IMO.

wood handles on the grill are nicer than new plastic handles. Although the dark gray on the newest models makes more sense than the light gray plastic handles for showing dirt.

Repair is simple if bowl and lid good. remove one screw from bottom (or likely drill it out if rusted) and put new mechanism in.

I like fixing stuff. I second the previous comment about tasting better on stuff you made/fixed.

The refurb has been put on hold, sadly. After doing some test runs on the kettle, I found that I really enjoy the ease of use of the Q for the moment.

But maybe the kettle will get its chance sometime in the future!

My methodology.

Weekday with little time = gasser
Weekday with a little extra time = propane assist with competition briquettes
Weekend = propane assist with regular kinsford bricks or Weber briquettes.
Large groups/parties = chicken on gasser, steak on charcoal and veggies wherever they fit. I love corn over charcoal with the whole husk.

Personally, I'm sorry to hear that you're giving up for now, Frode, but each of us has to go his/her way.

To paraphrase the slogan for bikers: It's not what you cook on, it's that you cook ! ! !

BD

A Weber Rapidfire chimney & lighter cubes will get the charcoal going pretty quick.
You can be up & running almost as fast as the Q.

Update: The Q has been in use the entire winter, even in 20 below freezing and with the snow pouring down! The old redhead has been parked in the back of the garage.

But now, with summer finally here I feel the need for some charcoal smoke! If I manage to get the charcoal going as fast as possible, controlling the heat and maintaining it for the entire cooking session, the refurb might be happening this summer!

I have a chimney starter, and am looking for any tip and advice to succeed with charcoal!

Would briquettes be a better choice than lumps? How do I know if it's time to add more charcoal to keep it going? Does a higher price give me better charcoal?

Back