Painted inside of grill

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I refurbished a Weber Q100 and painted the inside of the lid and cookbox with Rustoleum High Heat (1200 degree) paint. I have been told that you should not paint the inside of the grill. Should I strip it or just leave it on the inside? Or, will a good break in burn make it OK. It looks pretty good painted :D

Mmmmmm I love the taste of solvents in my food.....................reminds me of cooking on Kingsford!

Yah, I got you there. Mistake made, lesson learned. I cleaned it all out and burned the grill in for a half hour on high.

Someone nailed a deer just down the road. I guess I could walk down and hack off a hind quarter. :D

In a way, it sort of surprises me that Weber has not porcelainized the Q lids in place of paint outside and naked aluminum
inside. They would look more finished and nicer overall that way.

I don't think aluminum can stand up to the heat needed to glaze porcelain (about 2000 deg IIRC)

LMichaels. So do new grills come with some kind of coating in the firebox from the factory? And do you know it is true that bare aluminum in the cook box will give off harmful fumes?

Nah why would bare aluminum do that? There is still much cookware available that is bare aluminum (especially most commercial stuff used in professional kitchens). I cook on it. I actually don't know really if the paint is a serious long term issue. Honestly I think the reason it's not done is they're afraid of lawsuits from someone who may not take the precaution of doing a long burn off of the off gassing solvents. I could be wrong though LOL. Bottom line I would not paint one (internally). Also too, on the bare aluminum thing. Once you do a burn off to get the oils off from production, it will start getting carbon deposits on it from cooking just like say your cast iron cookware does.

I have a hand me down Spirit that's probably about 10 years old. the inside of the lid has something peeling/flaking off. What could that be if it isn't paint? Is there a factory coating instead of the bare metal? I took a scouring pad to remove as much loose stuff as possible, but I'm concerned more could fall down onto food

It is just carbon from the grilling. It almost looks like peeling black paint. But it is not. Just scrape/scour off what you can and don't worry about it.

Yep, that peeling stuff is old soot, etc. Just shows a non maintained grill. Use easy off and some carefull scraping and you will be fine. Bare aluminum causes no harm. Probably get more aluminum from natural sources than you would from cookeware or grills.

Back