Do I need a PartyQ?

Frode

I am thinking of getting a kettel for those special occasions when I have time to really enjoy the cooking!

I will be using it for hot dogs, burgers, steaks, ribs, chickens and pizza. Most of the time for about an hour or two.

Coming from a Q3200 I am a bit concerned that temperature control is going to be difficult.

The kettel has got a dome thermometer, and I will be using a dual probe thermometer for the longer cooks. Question is, do I need a PartyQ to help me keep the temperature stable? It costs almost as much as the kettel itself.

No, you do not want a PartyQ for a kettle unless you are going to be trying to cook low and slow, as in intimidating a smoker.

I Wanted to cook LowNSlow on a Weber Kettle, So, last year I purchased a "SlowNSear Plus" for cooking very relaxed LowNSlow on my 22" Weber Mastertouch Kettle with very good results.

IMO controlling the temperature on a Charcoal Kettle is a acquired skill through practice,practice,practice! I myself would buy a "gasser" before purchasing a expensive and so-called automatic device like a "PartyQ" solely for controlling the temperature on any charcoal cooker.

I "practice" controlling the temperature each time I light-up my WSM 18.5" "Classic, Weber Mastertouch 22" Kettle and my Weber Smoky Joe and the present results are much better than when I started serious Weber Charcoal Cooking in the year 2008. I do not presently own any "gasser" but now seriously considering buying one in the near future.

Last edited:
Don't plan on going low and slow any time soon. When that time comes I imagine I will be getting a WSM.

If I don't need a PartyQ, it means I have more money to spend on accessories. I already own a chimneystarter and a dual probe thermometer.

I think a pizza stone and a side table will come in handy. Any other accessories I might find useful?

Some important items in my BBQ Arsenal: Weber Ash Rake, BBQ Gloves, Weber Gourmet System Pizza Stone, Weber Side Table,Weber Chimneys(large and small), a few Thermoworks Thermometers and also a Maverick ET-733 Dual Probe Thermometer.

The best meat products available!
For me, good gloves, and the above mentioned best meat are going to give more pleasure than another grill unless it's your WSM, I will admit, I am enjoying mine immensely! Have not used it in two weeks and am getting the urge really really bad! I'm thinking ribs this weekend, maybe. Or a brisket!

Back