differing tastes of meat by country

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
Was just on my favorite german site and the cuts of meat they cook just look so good. Just made me wonder if the taste is differant than say the usa. Anyone experiance the differances ?

I was stationed in Germany three years and in Italy three years when I was in the Army. The meats do taste different because of the feed used to raise the animal. As I recall, beef was most noticeably different. I don't know how to describe it other than 'fresh', 'earthy', or to a lesser degree 'grassy'.

Grain-fed or grass-fed makes up the most differences. I remember having Australian beef (grain) once. Wow I says, what a difference. Even the texture of the meat is different.

Grain-fed or grass-fed makes up the most differences. I remember having Australian beef (grain) once. Wow I says, what a difference. Even the texture of the meat is different.

I spent 8 weeks in Sydney. Couldn't get used to the taste of beef there. So, I spent the whole time eating chicken, kangaroo, emu or whatever other protein I could get used to.

I spent 8 weeks in Sydney. Couldn't get used to the taste of beef there. So, I spent the whole time eating chicken, kangaroo, emu or whatever other protein I could get used to.

So I have to ask Dan, does kangaroo taste like anything that we eat in North America, or is it completely different?

So I have to ask Dan, does kangaroo taste like anything that we eat in North America, or is it completely different?

The kangaroo tasted nearly identical to venison. It was sooo good. (You didn't ask, Bob, but Emu tasted like a lightly salted country ham, and camel tasted somewhere between a roast beef and pot roast).

Does anyone here eat buffalo? It is available here but is SO expensive. How does the flavor compare to beef? I've read it is a lot healthier due to less fat but does that lessen the flavor?

I tried buffalo or bison once. Wasn't impressed. Just eat a bit less beef if you are worried about fat. Have had range beef but though it tasted good it was a bit tough. Wife will only buy beef from costco. No idea where that is from. I prefer pork as I prefer the taste and the fat does not upset my stomach like beef fat does.

Most of the lamb I see around here is a product of New Zealand. Lately have been seeing a lot of beef and pork labeled Product of USA and Canada or Mexico.
The beef in Mexico tasted different ( compared to mid-west beef ) when I was down there, but so did the beef in Texas when I worked there.

Tim

Does anyone here eat buffalo? It is available here but is SO expensive. How does the flavor compare to beef? I've read it is a lot healthier due to less fat but does that lessen the flavor?
It seems like buffalo is less available now than it has been in years past. I am not sure if it is due to lack of demand. Several years ago they were raising "Beefalo" 1/2 cow and 1/2 buffalo over in Michigan and up in Wisconsin. It tasted better to me than buffalo. Have not seen the Beefalo lately either.

Almost all our beef is grass fed.
I am particularly partial to rump steak. It just got so much more flavour than fillet.

I will hardly ever order steak in Europe (Netherlands) as it is good, but soooo expensive in comparison (I pay about 7 to 8 U$ for a kg of rumpsteak).

Almost all our beef is grass fed.
I am particularly partial to rump steak. It just got so much more flavour than fillet.

I will hardly ever order steak in Europe (Netherlands) as it is good, but soooo expensive in comparison (I pay about 7 to 8 U$ for a kg of rumpsteak).

Rump steak?

Is that the same as round steak? If so, it's a very lean cut of beef. How do you keep it moist?

Do they raise cattle in Haiti? I traveled there years ago, and the beef I ate had a pretty good taste to it.

Rump steak?

Is that the same as round steak? If so, it's a very lean cut of beef. How do you keep it moist?

Top round is another cut (at least here it is).
Rump is fairly lean, but with a layer of fat on the side. I can't make a picture and show you as I am away for a bit.
I will try to remember and do it sometime when I am back.
I cut the steaks fairly thick and cook over high heat (and have it stand on the fatty side for a bit).

I decided to use google and came up with this bit of info (and since Zambia is an ex British colony, I assume that those are the names we follow)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rump_steak
However, Sirloin here is a different cut than rump

Ahhhh, confusion....

Back