Advice on a used Genny

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I may go look at this tomorrow, but am a little concerned about the 'floor' in the bottom of the cabinet. Looks like rust. Anyone know if this part can be purchased? Any other advice on what to look/look out for? Thanks!!

Jim

00808_koQsbEOBzLu_600x450_zpshcgmdu9c.jpg

If it's not structurally bad you can disassemble and repaint. Found a used one recently myself and it was minor enough to ignore.

Looks more like surface rust to me. One issue I see and I've put this in other posts, it looks like the grill is parked on cement. Cement has very corrosive fumes coming out of it from the lime and other minerals even if it's well cured and that will attack the metal in the bottom of the cabinet. It doesn't affect open frame grills as there is enough air flow to prevent any damage.
I have my E320 sitting on a rubber mat to insulate it from the concreate. I also sprayed a heavy duty primer on the inside and outside of the floor and it's a 2009 and no rust at all.

By the way that is a great grill, I really like mine and the blue is really nice.

DSCN6154_zpsaw12fwxx.jpg

Last edited:
As others have said, you might be able to save the bottom pan. If not, it's more than likely available from Weber or one of the other parts sites. Will check on a price when I get home as it's cumbersome at best on my phone

Thanks all! I really like that color - don't see a lot of blues like that. Hopefully, it is still available. He said tomorrow was good, but didn't mention if he had any other interest. Either way, I have a friend lined up with his truck. Fingers crossed. He's asking $300.

Not worth $300 in my opinion. Depending on how bad the bottom is, might not even be worth $200

Add claims it has new burners and flavorizer bars. Any help?

I'd ask for photos of the inside of the grill box, with and without FBs and grates, so that you can see the burners. Also, closer (in focus) photos of the lower cabinet so we can really get an idea about the kind of rust you would be dealing with. Lastly, get the serial number and model number from him, should start with 2 letters. No problem if he doesn't want to give out complete number, you just need the 2 letters. That will tell us exact age and model.

FWIW, it's from somewhere between 2007 - 2010 model year. Looks to be an E-310, which doesn't have a side burner. They weren't much more than $600 back when they were new iirc.

Thanks for all the insight, Dave. I appreciate your advice. Don't have the time for a restoration right now, so I'm looking for a relatively low investment in time and parts. Just checked again, and it looks like the ad has been deleted, so likely gone.

Thanks for all the insight, Dave. I appreciate your advice. Don't have the time for a restoration right now, so I'm looking for a relatively low investment in time and parts. Just checked again, and it looks like the ad has been deleted, so likely gone.

You're welcome Jim, check out the link I posted. Guy has 2 Genny Gold C's that should be cheap and easy to get up and running. Best thing is both are FREE. he just wants them gone.

00W0W_7QoZJWS8yZ_1200x900.jpg

00h0h_irym3r7VtR2_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_607GdlVKweI_1200x900.jpg

i know i'm new here. but i would stick w the generation of genesis before that one. the cabinets in those late 2000s models are garbage. and they are really not worth fixing once they rot. i come across them curbside all the time. people don't even take them. they aren't the best weber design. i got a free 2012 Summit that has that issue. if it were a genesis i wouldn't have taken it.

I may go look at this tomorrow, but am a little concerned about the 'floor' in the bottom of the cabinet. Looks like rust. Anyone know if this part can be purchased? Any other advice on what to look/look out for? Thanks!!

Jim

00808_koQsbEOBzLu_600x450_zpshcgmdu9c.jpg

Beautiful blue lid, really like that, but $300 for a grill that looks to need rust repair and was only $600 new, seems too steep. I've seen 2-3 year old similar grills for $325 on Craigslist when sellers were moving State and had to sell.

Those two free grills, wow! I would rather have both of them and a $300 budget for RCP parts and sell off one.

Back