How many chunks do I need for a whole cook?

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
So, I'm thinking that I am going to take the WSM out for her maiden voyage this weekend. I will probably do a butt, because I love pulled pork and it's so darn forgiving. I'm used to doing smokes on my Kettle with chips. But, I've got two types of chunks at the house for the WSM: apple and pecan.

My wife is kinda sensitive to smoke. So, I don't want to smoke out that butt. I want a nice subtle flavor. The places where I've read about using chunks all talk about anywhere from 2-6 chunks. Some of them discuss adding chunks as needed. I know that the butt will be a longer cook (up to 12 hours depending on size). So, will I need to add chunks? (If it's like 4 chunks and not adding more, I'll probably use the apple. I've got about 9 pieces left and I really had designs on making bacon. If I'll need to add more, I'll probably go with pecan and do 2-3 and replace.)

What say you WSM folks?

If you don't want a lot of smoke flavor I'd think 4 will be fine. I usually use more but Momma loves the smoke, lol
I would put one chunk next to your lit coals and the rest buried around the pile.

If you find it's not enough, you can add more on the next cook, but 4 will get you going

It depends on the moisture content of your smoke-wood and your personal tastes.
To me, older dried out wood takes 4-5 chunks to get the smoke flavor I like.
Wood with the right moisture content only takes 1-2 chunks.
Apple to me is a pretty mild flavor and add the pecan, you should have a nice mellow flavor.:wsm:

Tim

I personally think wood on the bottom of the grate gives the best results - especially if the wood has a lot of moisture content. We like a strong hickory aroma in these parts, so we usually use at least 4 to 5 chunks. Tim's suggestion of one to two chunks may be just right for your wife.

Back