Thoughts on this grill as a possible refurb?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I have to drive about 50 miles, but I can get this for free: She says it has some newly replaced parts, but didn't say what they were.

Weber%20Grill%20ID_zpsimolhwfa.jpg

Weber%20Grill%20ID2_zpsj3z4vdfn.jpg

Biggest issue on grills from this generation and newer is that the lower cabinet tends to rust away. IF that is in good shape (doors, side panels, bottom tray), yeah, it's a good candidate.

Oh yah. Got it. Yah. I know what you mean.

yeah. the "grill" part of this generation (and newer) are still rock solid just like the previous generations. The cabinet/cart though is another story. Can't begin to count how many of these I have seen being trashed because the bottom has just completely rusted away.

One of the reasons the lower cabinet rots away is a lot of them sit on concrete. Concrete gives off corrosive gases that are very acidic which just eats away at the bottom of the cabinet. My E320 sits on concrete with a rubberized mat between it and the cement and I also sprayed the bottom of the cabinet both inside and out with a heavy duty primer, it's eight years old and no rust at all.

One of the reasons the lower cabinet rots away is a lot of them sit on concrete. Concrete gives off corrosive gases that are very acidic which just eats away at the bottom of the cabinet. My E320 sits on concrete with a rubberized mat between it and the cement and I also sprayed the bottom of the cabinet both inside and out with a heavy duty primer, it's eight years old and no rust at all.

Thanks for the info Rich, I wasn't aware of this.

So, the metal itself sits on the concrete or do the grills have some kind of legs or wheels keeping the grill base off direct contract with the ground????

So, the metal itself sits on the concrete or do the grills have some kind of legs or wheels keeping the grill base off direct contract with the ground????

The grill has casters, so the metal is up off the ground.

Cool. I just picked up the grill. It looks like there is some corrosion on the bottom plate and the bracket that holds the drip pan is basically toast. One of the doors hinges needs fixing but the cast iron grate looks pretty good. The flavorizor bars were gunked up pretty good, but didn't look like they had any holes. I didn't look at the burner tubes yet. But, the previous owner left the parts that they had bought to fix it up before they gave up and I have a brand new ceramic coated stamped steel grate and brand new flavorizer bars that cam with it. They said that when the igniter quit working, they decided to give up on it and move on. So, I get a free grill with close to $100 in free Weber factory parts. If I can salvage the bottom panel, the a new igniter, drip pan holder and burner tubes would make this basically a new grill after I clean it up and put the new parts in.

OK, I went out to find the serial number on the grill so that I could look it up and see exactly what I have. I finally found it on the bottom plate. I couldn't see it because there was so much crap on the bottom that it was basically covered up. Well, upon trying to clean it off, I wound up basically cleaning off the printing on the label. Or it was already corroded off from the crap on top of it...Either way, I don't know the serial number and was wondering if there is another place that they put the SN? I am guessing the guy that decided they would put them on the bottom pan of the grill doesn't work there any more.

Also, Does any one know what this is: It came with the grill parts that the previous owner included. But I don't have any idea what it is.....I suppose it might not even be a part for the grill. They had ordered the wrong flavorizer bars for the grill, so maybe they ordered this part erroneously as well. One side fits into the other side and it looks to be made that way to make it adjustable. It also seems to be Stainless.
IMG_0010_zpskuvnku0v.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsmggdn77k.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsuq1kmmys.jpg

Yah, it has a patent number on it...maybe I should type that into google and see what comes up. But, it can't be any kind of custom flavorizer as it doesn't quite extend long enough to reach side to side....it is much wider than an OEM flavo bar as well.

Charbroil universal adjustable heat shield. Not sure if you have one set, or missing the matching pieces.

Dave, that looks spot on. I glanced over it and didn't see anything that looked different than mine. THanks. I expected it to be an older grill, so that is nice that it is only 5-8 years old. Oh and the charbroil heat sheild thing makes sense. Sure didn't look "Weber" to me.

I do wish I could resurrect the serial number though.

Dave, that looks spot on. I glanced over it and didn't see anything that looked different than mine. THanks. I expected it to be an older grill, so that is nice that it is only 5-8 years old.

I do wish I could resurrect the serial number though.

You're welcome Bruce. The SN might pop up somewhere on there. Some have seen it on the manifold on other models. It should be 2 letters followed by 6 numbers. Here are the possible letters:

DE: 2009
AD: 2010
AA: 2011
AU: 2012

Dave: thanks. You reminded me of something. I saw a bar code and number on the manifold. It wasn't a serial number, but when I typed "Weber" plus that number: 4411411 into google, everthing I see indicates it is a 2009. So, it looks like I have a 2009 Weber Spirit 210.

Thanks for the help.

Dave: thanks. You reminded me of something. I saw a bar code and number on the manifold. It wasn't a serial number, but when I typed "Weber" plus that number: 4411411 into google, everthing I see indicates it is a 2009. So, it looks like I have a 2009 Weber Spirit 210.

Thanks for the help.

Nice job! You're welcome. Yep, that's what you have.

Back