Adding handle to the lid

Dustin_G

TVWBB Member
Hey guys and gals. I've got one of the Unknown BBQ hinges ordered for my 18" WSM, and now I'm looking to add a handle to the lid. My lid only has the handle on the very top, I'd like to add one to the front, seems to make more sense once the hinge is installed.

My current plan is to fab up a bracket, bolt it to the lid, and buy a Weber handle to match the stock handle, so it'll look factory.

Any other recommendations for something better?

I built my own bracket and added a Weber handle. 1/2" strap is a tad to small and 3/4 will work but you'll have to modify the plastic tabs to make it fit. If you can find 5/8" strap that will make a perfect fit. The handles off eReplacment parts will work but they flare out. I didn't like the look for a front handle so I built my own bracket

I think I may skip adding the extra handle (even though I already bought it...)

The cover barely fits now with the new hinge installed, it won't fit with an extra handle sticking out the front. I'm gonna use it first and see how much I want the handle.

I think you'll be happy with out the front handle on the 18. I have the unknown hinge on both my 22 and 18. The 18 is easy to lift to close with just the top handle.

Back